Baby Showers

Book for baby shower

I am going to a baby shower next weekend and the host is asking that we bring books instead of cards.  Does anyone have any suggestions of what book to bring?  I would like to find a good one that isn't too popular since I don't want to bring the same one as someone else!  Any help is appreciated!

Re: Book for baby shower

• imagemandy10/06:
    I am going to a baby shower next weekend and the host is asking that we bring books instead of cards.  Does anyone have any suggestions of what book to bring?  I would like to find a good one that isn't too popular since I don't want to bring the same one as someone else!  Any help is appreciated!

I would boycott this because it's so rude, so I've got no suggestions.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have about a 250 children's books and love so many!!!  Are you wanting to go with a board book or just a regular paperback?

Do not get: The Hungry Caterpillar, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Good Night Moon, The Napping House, The Rainbow Fish, The Mitten, The Polar Express etc.

Still Cute books but not so over-used are:

A pocketfull of kiss by Audrey Penn

Any of the Llama Llama Books are adorable

Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes (LOVE LOVE!!) Actually any Kevin Henkes books are good

Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin

I could go on for days but there are a few! :)

• Loading the player...
  • Whatever you do, you're not supposed to spend any more than you would on a card.  I mean, otherwise, the hostess would be rude and imposing on guests.  Thankfully cards are about $5 so I'd head to the dollar store or the cheap book section at Target. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imageheatherbee710:

There seem to be a lot of people who dislike this new trend on here! Am I the only one who thinks it is a cute idea, and much more practical then getting 50 cards that you will never use again? I guess I have no problem spending a dollar or two more on a book instead of a card if I think that it might be something the new mom and baby enjoy doing together!

Anyways, my favorite kids book to give is called "The Monster at the End of the Book" ... it's a book with Grover in it, and it's fantastic :)  Happy shopping!

No one said it wasn't a cute idea but it is RUDE to tell your guests 1. How to spend their money and 2. To bring 2 gifts because that is excatly what is being done. If the MTB wants books she can put them on her registry. Now if you want to throw proper etiquette out the window be my guest but don't be shocked if a lot of your guests give you the side eye on something like this.
  • imageKimbus22:
    imageGismo123:
    imageheatherbee710:

There seem to be a lot of people who dislike this new trend on here! Am I the only one who thinks it is a cute idea, and much more practical then getting 50 cards that you will never use again? I guess I have no problem spending a dollar or two more on a book instead of a card if I think that it might be something the new mom and baby enjoy doing together!

Anyways, my favorite kids book to give is called "The Monster at the End of the Book" ... it's a book with Grover in it, and it's fantastic :)  Happy shopping!

No one said it wasn't a cute idea but it is RUDE to tell your guests 1. How to spend their money and 2. To bring 2 gifts because that is excatly what is being done. If the MTB wants books she can put them on her registry. Now if you want to throw proper ettiquet out the window be my guest but don't be shocked if a lot of your guests give you the side eye on something like this.

Reading this again, if you're going to give the "side eye" about something like this - you are too cranky and judgmental to be at a baby shower.  Do the other attendees a favor and stay home.

Lol I just had to laugh at this.....I feel sorry for you who thinks it's ok to dictate how someone should spend their money and then if someone does't agree with it you think they are cranky and should just not go to the shower. I have been to many showers and not once was I told how to spend my money and people should be grateful for whatever they get. That being said I have always gone off a registry but to dictate specific things and ask for 2 gifts is flat out rude no matter how you try and justify it and calling me names won't change that etiquette rule!
  • My favorite kids book is Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems. In fact, anything by Mo is great! That said, his books will cost way more than a card (and I've seen many gifts given without a card), so I'm in the "it's rude to ask for 2 gifts" camp.
  • Gismo, I think it's hysterical that she called you cranky! ?? 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• I also think it is rude - actually it is always rude to tell guests what to buy...but I wouldn't boycott it either.  I've gone to a couple of showers that have requested a book instead of a card and since I almost always add a book to the gift anyway it is not a big deal.  However, I will NOT sign the book.  I just get a card and sign that.  That is just nonsense as far as I'm concerned.  It is defacing a book and I was taught at a young age not to write in books.  So...if the mom gets 5 copies of Good Night Moon or the Very Hungry Catapillar are you really going to keep all 5-8 copies? 

I am very surprised at the amount of people that would keep several copies of the same book because people signed then but would not keep cards.  I would ONLY keep cards...not the books.  Those would be donated pronto - even with the signatures in them...but then I would not ask for them in the first place.  I have the 1st years' cards my kids got and will save/store them so when they are parents they can look through them.  I love looking through the cards my mom saved when I was born.  Do I have any of the books from when I was little...maybe 1-2 and they are pretty worn.  After going through us kids plus nieces and nephews they get pretty chewed up.  The cards are pristine because they've been packed away in the "baby box".

• Thank you all for your suggestions!  For this shower they were asking for recycled books that we have around the house but since I am pregnant with my first I don't have any children's books hanging around.  Luckily I love going to book stores so off I go!
  • apparently i was the victim of a drive-by rude-fest, because i attended a baby shower that requested us to 'bring our favorite baby books' and i went out and bought two on top of the original gift i was bringing! i definitely wasnt offended at all, but i guess to each their own. 

in my opinion, my very favorite kids book is the original Winnie the Pooh series  :)

• One of my favorite books growing up was "Too Much Noise" by Ann McGovern. Though it's kind of an old book so I'm not sure how easy it would be to find, being old also would help to ensure it doesn't get duplicated.

I too am of the mindset that giving books instead of cards is a great idea. I've even had some friends and family tell me how much they like the idea, without me mentioning it. I sort of understand other people's opinions but I also am a bit confused.

If you aren't supposed to tell people what to buy you then why bother registering? Like many others have said if someone doesn't want to do it they don't have to. It's the same as if someone doesn't want to buy something off of your registry I don't think anyone would go haywire on that person.

Also, if people are informed in the invite then they can factor that in when buying a gift.

I agree that you shouldn't write in books but what is so bad about writing a little something on the first blank page? Authors do it all the time when they autograph books. I have two Shel Silverstein books from my parents that I got as Xmas presents when I was little and my mom wrote "Merry Christmas" with the year and I cherish those books because of that.

Sadly, I don't know how to ensure you don't wind up with multiple copies. However, I think you have a better chance if you ask for books to get a bunch of different ones than if you didn't and didn't register for any. If people know that there will be others buying books they may try and steer more towards lesser known books. I think I may register for some books as well to give people some ideas.

I know the etiquette police will be on my butt for this but we book instead of card lovers need to stick together.

• imagecagz:

One of my favorite books growing up was "Too Much Noise" by Ann McGovern. Though it's kind of an old book so I'm not sure how easy it would be to find, being old also would help to ensure it doesn't get duplicated.

I too am of the mindset that giving books instead of cards is a great idea. I've even had some friends and family tell me how much they like the idea, without me mentioning it. I sort of understand other people's opinions but I also am a bit confused.

If you aren't supposed to tell people what to buy you then why bother registering? Like many others have said if someone doesn't want to do it they don't have to. It's the same as if someone doesn't want to buy something off of your registry I don't think anyone would go haywire on that person.

Also, if people are informed in the invite then they can factor that in when buying a gift.

I agree that you shouldn't write in books but what is so bad about writing a little something on the first blank page? Authors do it all the time when they autograph books. I have two Shel Silverstein books from my parents that I got as Xmas presents when I was little and my mom wrote "Merry Christmas" with the year and I cherish those books because of that.

Sadly, I don't know how to ensure you don't wind up with multiple copies. However, I think you have a better chance if you ask for books to get a bunch of different ones than if you didn't and didn't register for any. If people know that there will be others buying books they may try and steer more towards lesser known books. I think I may register for some books as well to give people some ideas.

I know the etiquette police will be on my butt for this but we book instead of card lovers need to stick together.

A registry is only a guidline and technically the guest doesn't have to go by it. Registries aren't thought of as tacky because you aren-t specifically telling the guest what they "have" to buy. By asking for a book instead of a card you are telling guests what they can and can't spend money on. Also people shouldn't write in books not because it defaces it but just in case if they get a duplicate...if it's written in, even one of the blank pages, it's non returnable. Btw I LOVE books so me being raised to always follow proper etiquette doesn't mean I am a book hater.
  • I love If You Were my Bunny by Kate McMullen.  My 19 month old brings it to me to read to him all the time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • I am doing this for my shower... so I guess I am rude.  I am a HUGE reader and we have built a special entire wall of shelves to display all the books our family and friends lovingly give us.  My favorite book as a child was The Velveteen Rabbit and my best friend already got it for my little girl to be!  I also think when it is your first baby (like mine) and you have no childrens books it is a great gift.

Too many people get fired up on these boards about things that aren't worth it.  You know your friends and family, so do what you are comfortable with, and ignore the haters!!!

• This was done for me at my shower - I got one duplicate and it was a locally written book about from a child's perspective about my home state. DD's already ripped one of the pages completely out of one copy so I am glad I got two. I also love reading these books to DD and telling her who gave it to her and what they had to say. She likes it too. And no one side-eyed me, they all gushed how creative the hosts were by thinking of it. But to each their own, so whatevs.

That said, for OP - DD's fave book for her first year or so was Little Quack's Bedtime. We read it every night before bed and when we accidentally left it at grandma's and had to wait for it to arrive in the mail, we recited it by heart every night. Little Quack also has a self-titled book and a hide-n-seek book and maybe others. Now she likes the old golden spine books, and my childhood favorite has become one of her favorites also - The Pokey Little Puppy. I actually got this for a friend's new LO as a small board book at B&N for $5.98 this week. Also, there are a bunch of books about a little yellow puppy named Biscuit - he has touch and feel books, lift the flap books, early readers and more. DD loves biscuit. He "woofs" a lot and she learned when to woof when we read them together.

• My sister just got invited to a shower with this request.

I told her to get Only One You. It's not well known, but IMO, it's beautifully illustrated and is a great book from birth through adulthood (the message) 

• imageKimbus22:
    imageGismo123:
    imageheatherbee710:

No one said it wasn't a cute idea but it is RUDE to tell your guests 1. How to spend their money and 2. To bring 2 gifts because that is excatly what is being done. If the MTB wants books she can put them on her registry. Now if you want to throw proper ettiquet out the window be my guest but don't be shocked if a lot of your guests give you the side eye on something like this.

Reading this again, if you're going to give the "side eye" about something like this - you are too cranky and judgmental to be at a baby shower.  Do the other attendees a favor and stay home.

Totally agree. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"