Attachment Parenting

Please help with bedtime routine for 20m old who does not want to go to sleep!

Ok, my 20 month old does not want to go to bed. I need to find a bedtime routine that will calm her down, get her to stop moving, and relax. Any suggestions?

We were doing videos before nursing, but now the videos don't seem to relax her. Books don't really work because she gets excited and distracted reading them. We stopped doing bath time before bed because that would also get her more excited.

It also seems like if she catches onto a bedtime routine she revolts against it. I was doing a rocking/ nursing session, but now she fights it. What has happened the last few nights is we do potty, then diaper. Then potty and diaper again. ;) then rock and nurse, but she wants to do potty again, or get up, so I tell her it's bedtime a nd she can either rock or lay down. She fights to get down, I hold her, she cries and screams, then wants to lay down. Then she will try to get up and I will tell her she can rock or lay down, and finally I get her to either rock and nurse or lay down and nurse and after fidgeting for a while she falls asleep. Sometimes it's quicker, sometimes longer.

Any advice? She really fights it - to the point where she will be on the brink of falling asleep and then pop up and start to name all her body parts, or clap or do something else that pops into her mind. It seems really hard for her to let go, relax and go to sleep. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Please help with bedtime routine for 20m old who does not want to go to sleep!

• I'm sorry you guys are dealing with this. We just got over some major sleep issues here (14 months old). DS has never done reading either (he just plays while we read so it revs him up) and any kind of tv or videos get him going too.

A warm bath with massage helps, and then I turn down/ off the lights in his room. I use a quiet voice and will sometimes sing very softly for him, or tell him "stories" in a quiet voice for a few minutes to sort of set the sleepy mood.

Once he's pretty calm I use the same phrase every night to signal bed time, then walk out. I read "The No Cry Sleep Solution" and roughly adhered to that. Say the bed time phrase, walk out. If ds starts crying, walk back in and try again. And again. And again. He got it eventually and now knows that whether he fights it or not, it's bed time and he gives in.

Good luck! 

• DS was similar when he was younger. Always on the go, and had a hard time calming down. He rarely naps now.

The only thing that helped him was to have a strict routine that never changed. There is no negotiation. There are no extra potty breaks or choices (besides what book to read). It sounds harsh, but this has helped him so much. He knows what to expect. The excitement of what might happen has been removed. He can start calming down on step 2 of the routine, because it is a cue that step 3,4, and then bed are coming up. 

ETA: if your LO starts to "revolt" against a routine, it's probably a sign that it is working. She has caught on that bedtime is imminent.  

• Loading the player...
  • 1) start turning lights and sounds down at least an hour, if not two, before bedtime

2) keep yourselves calm and unhurried, even if you find yourselves running late.

3) pick a routine and stick with it for the long haul - at least two months - so she has time to fight it and learn that nothing will change even if she fights it

4) work with her to figure out what helps her calm down best

DD has never been a good sleeper and fits sleep any and every chance she gets. We used to have to break out all the five S's (swaddled until 9 months for bedtime and 11 months for naps, shhshh'ed during the whole routine, sucking on one of our fingers  until she was out of the swaddle, held sideways, bouncing on a ball, often for over an hour). We eventually moved to nursing her and laying next to her in bed. She still sometimes takes an hour to fall asleep. But through repeated, calm, boring, she learned that she had to stay in bed, laying down.

These days, we have dinner, take a walk, get home and brush teeth, change. Then we get into bed and read her a book (from memory, in the dark). I stay in bed with her until she falls asleep. Sometimes I have to leave for a minute or two if she is just playing. I know it will change again at some point, but that's it for now.

Good luck. It's hard! You will get through it! 

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're going through this just this week and it's so beyond frustrating, I thought we'd left our sleep issues behind! We have always done bath right after dinner, watched 20 mins of her show, then read 3 books and rocked a very short time until she asked to go in the crib, so easy. This week she doesn't ask for crib, just wants to rock, and refuses to relax while rocking. She wants to hang upside down or sing and do finger play and when I say no she asks for another book or a snack. It's to the point it's taking an hour or more for her to fall asleep, she just lays in the crib and yells for us, then screams if no one comes. If we go in she asks for a book and lights on or a snack and when we say no it's a huge meltdown. I'm hoping (HOPING) it's a passing phase and maybe she just has a lot going on in her little mind right now. If it keeps up I'm going to have to do the Shuffle again or something to try and get her back on track before the baby comes. I told her she's welcome to not sleep after he's born and we're all up at night, anyway, but for now she has to go to bed on time :P
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Ugh, she sounds like my younger son! He goes through phases were it's really hard to get him to chill out for bed. We have a casual routine where the lights get dimmed everywhere in our apartment, and we make sure DS1 is either playing something quiet, or listening to books with DS2. We basically do dinner, jammies, reading, bedtime, and he does seem to be getting better. Oh, I also make a big show of saying "good night" to everyone and everything - dad, his brother, the cat, various rooms, etc. etc. He really likes that part, and walks into the bedroom by himself.

Have you played bedtime with animals or dolls? She might respond to that. And the book "Sleepless in America" doesn't have specifics, but it might be a good read, too. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• This might be a good time to help her to fall asleep on her own.  At that age, we realized that DS1 was looking at bedtime as playtime with us there.  Us being there was stimulating to him and he didn't want to fall asleep.  We did the Sleep Lady Shuffle and it really worked great!  We also talked about what we were going to do, read books, cuddle, tuck in bed with "friends" (stuffed animals), turn out light and then Mommy/Daddy were going to go downstairs to clean the house/do dishes.  DS1 knew those things were boring, so wouldn't be excited about staying up with us.  Also, the books we read were about bedtime too.  Everything to focus on sleep.  Anyways.  Not sure if you are ready to do any sleep "training", and we didn't plan on doing it.  But it seemed like DS1 was ready and needed us to NOT be there and give him his space!  GL!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I'm going to take the next week to figure out a good routine, and then just stick with it. argh. 

Any other suggestions on books? I read Sleepless in America, but that's the only sleep book I have really read. What about the Ferber book? would it be worth it? And the the Sleep Lady Shuffle a book or does it come from a book?

• This is the site I went off for the Shuffle - this link is a quick overview and at the bottom are links to more detailed instructions for each step. It worked quickly for us the first time around. She had just weaned around 15/16 months and no longer nursed to sleep so that's what we started with.

https://www.parentsconnect.com/parenting-your-kids/kids-sleeping/good-night-sleep-lady-shuffle.html

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Sounds just like my 20m old. Hopefully it's a stage! I really hope so!! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am having the most awful time with my daughters sleeping habits, so thank you for the suggestion of the Sleep Lady Shuffle.  We are going to try that out to see how it works.  Tried CIO because we were desperate and it just gets her all worked up and she becomes even more awake.
    Irish Mama Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We've followed the same bedtime routine for two years now and have had great success.  DD is now 3 years old.  I've never allowed her to have much tv time, so it is a very special treat.  We do this at home, hotel, even at her grandparents if she is spending the night.  She gets a bath, gets her pull-up, brush teeth, turn down the lights in the family room and she gets to watch 12 minutes of Olivia (the pig) while we put on lotion and jammies.  Each show ends with Olivia going to bed.  After that we say prayers and it is time for bed.  Now that she is getting older, if we've had a big day and/or it is getting late, I can tell her that Olivia has already gone to bed and we can skip it.  Whatever you do, just get into a routine that works and you both enjoy and stick with it.  Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedoodahsgurl:
    We've followed the same bedtime routine for two years now and have had great success.  DD is now 3 years old.  I've never allowed her to have much tv time, so it is a very special treat.  We do this at home, hotel, even at her grandparents if she is spending the night.  She gets a bath, gets her pull-up, brush teeth, turn down the lights in the family room and she gets to watch 12 minutes of Olivia (the pig) while we put on lotion and jammies.  Each show ends with Olivia going to bed.  After that we say prayers and it is time for bed.  Now that she is getting older, if we've had a big day and/or it is getting late, I can tell her that Olivia has already gone to bed and we can skip it.  Whatever you do, just get into a routine that works and you both enjoy and stick with it.  Good luck!

Oh thank you so much for this video suggestion! I have been looking for a short nighttime video. We have the Winnie the pooh movie so we have been watching just short clips of it at night to calm her down, but I love the idea of the pig going to bed. The last few nights have been better, although I think she has been really tired.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"