Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Random reading question

This might be more for the teachers out there. Once your kid learns to read, are the skills basically transferrable across languages or do you need to start all over again in a new language (if they're still young)?

Background: We're living in France this year and DD is doing some basic reading in school. By the time we get back to the U.S., DD will be almost in Kindergarten and in NYC public schools, she'll be expected to read at a certain level by then. Not sure if I should be doing anything to supplement what she's doing here, if I should just chill and wait until it's closer to the time we go home or what. For now, it looks like the biggest thing is just teaching her that some of the letters make different sounds in English v. French v. Spanish (which we also speak), but I don't know if there's anything else.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Random reading question

• Options

Kids in the US are not expected to be able to read when they start kindergarten.  Kids typically know how to say the letters, can identify most if not all of them in at least upper case and possible lower case but reading here is something kids learn in kindy and 1st grade typically.  Some kids are early readers and do start sooner but that is the exception not the norm.  My odler DD is 5 1/2 and in prek this year, she can name most of her letters by site and can write them all when she sees them (copying them) and maybe half or more when you tell her to write the letter.  She is just starting to do very basic spelling (she can spell Mom for example).  She is working on reading concepts and tries to read but is not there yet. 

I would make sure you DD knows her letters in English and not worry about anything beyond that at this point.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options

Skills do sometimes transfer, but it's more often if they're fluent in the language. Other times, they're so focused on just understanding the language they can't really pay attention to comprehension.

As to what the expectations are in schools, make sure you know just what is expected in schools. They are expected to know a "certain level" when they enter K, but that level tends to just include sight words, knowing how books work and letters. Even those are not deal breakers.

Since you'll be living overseas, will she be in school in France? Some countries don't expect kids to start school until 7.

If she's interested in reading, letters, etc, definitely make sure she has opportunities to learn (starfall.com is a great pre-k website) and practice what she knows, but a lot of the time at her age, it's just learning to love books and be excited about reading. (btw, I do have a literacy background; if you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Coming from a kindergarten teacher. Most kids that enter kindergarten can not read. There are the very few that can. I would say you don't have to do anything. 
    Married to Brandon since 2/14/06
    Twin Girls born on January 1st 2012:Brooklyn Avery(Brooke) & Eliana Meredith(Ellie)
    Ellie and Brooke both have Juvenile Diabetes
    Adopted a Brother and Sister in January of 2012
    Levi Ryan-October 25th 2007 and Caroline Paige(Carly)-July 23rd 2009
    Jonah Samuel born April 21st 2013
    Expecting Baby #6-June 2014!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"