School-Aged Children
Options

Moms of 3 kids....

what do you drive?

We are car shopping and looking for a non-mini van vehicle. We currently have 2 kiddo's and are getting ready to try for #3 so looking for something that will accomodate us all.

Thanks! :)

Re: Moms of 3 kids....

• Options

I know you said non minivan but I drive a Sienna and love it.  The sliding doors and lower to the ground than an SUV are priceless!  I have the older 2 in the back row and DD2 in the middle facing backwards and she just loves to talk to her brother and sister.  

DH drives a Sequoia and it fits all three in the middle row (tightly) but we don't usually take his car when it's the whole family.  Getting the infant seat in and out of that from the middle was tricky (I am 5'4).  It has a third row which the older ones could sit in but DD2 wouldn't be able to see them as well and it is not as easy to get to. 

Mommy to DS1 ~10.11.05~ DD1 ~07.22.07~ DD2 ~09.10.10~
  • Options
    My friend has 3 kids and she drives a Chevrolet Traverse.  She loves it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have an Acura MDX.  DS will go in the 3rd row, DD and baby will go in the 2nd and one seat will be folded down unless someone is sitting in it so that DS can get in/out easily.  I'm really hoping to never have to buy a minivan.  My next car will probably be a Ford Flex.  I like how it has a well in the back for storage/luggage like a minivan, but isn't a minivan.  It's gas mileage is a bit better too.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

As much as DH hated the mini van stigma, he got over it. :)

Practicality wins. With 3 kids we have to have the sliding doors and storage for all their sports equipment and stroller. We drive a 2011 Honda Odyssey and love it! 

Robby's Blog

Momma Bear
    Big - 1 year old
    Bigger - 6 years old
    Biggest - 13 years old

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have 2 kids and drive a Toyota Sienna minivan and LOVELOVELOVE it!!!  

However, I know several people who have 3 kids and a vehicle other than a minivan.  Other vehicles I have seen driven by 3 kid families: Ford Explorer, Toyota Sequoia, Chevy Traverse. 

With the exception of the family who drives the Toyota Sequoia, none of these families can take guest kids in the car with their entire family.  This can be an issue when kids get older and want to take friends along on events.

My SIL sold her minivan when her boys were out of elementary school.  She got a Chevy Traverse, but then really regretted it the first time her kids asked to each take a friend along on a daylong ski trip.  She didn't have room for 2 adults, 4 kids, and snowboards!  She and her husband each had to drive a separate car!  This isn't a huge deal for families with young kids, but it becomes a much bigger issue when kids are older.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    After much debate between a Honda Odyssey, and Chevy Suburban, we went went with the Suburban. Don't get me wrong, we really loved the Odyssey, it was extremely roomy, and had everything we wanted except it did not have 4 wheel drive which was important to us, since we plan on doing a lot of road trips. The suburban has everything, and extremely roomy, we got a fantastic deal on ours. 
  • Options

We have an Acura MDX.  We have all 3 kids across the second row-two in boosters and one in a Marathon.  

I love my car!  I love the way it drives and the fact that it's not massive.  It's still an SUV but a smaller one.  We have a third row that we generally keep folded down for cargo but if I'm driving a carpool I can fit 2 kids (or even adults for short trips) back there.   My kids just hop in the back rather then fold the seat down every time.  

• Options

Thanks ladies for your advice. I think we have it narrowed down between an Acura MDX, a friend of mine has one for her 3 kids and loves it, and a Mazda CX9.

DH is trying to convience me into a Ford F150 crew cab, but now sure how I feel about trying to haul a baby seat into the back seat.

So we will see. :)

• Options
    We drive a Mitsubishi Endeavor.  It's tight but the three car seats fit.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    well my sis in law has 3 kids , age 8 , 6 , 1 , ahe drives a toyota avensis , i dont know if you get them in the states , and that car has a big boot , but the boys are coming and going to school with the schoolbus  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    as pp said - I also drive amini van- a Chrysler town and country - love it !~
    lolololo
  • Options
    We had the 2006 Chevy cobalt Sudan. It fit a booster, a front facing car seat, and a rear facing one just fine. Then it fit two front facers and a booster just fine also.
  • Options
    Nissan Pathfinder
    AKA Carol*Brady! IHO my upcoming 10yr Nestiversary--Back to old screenname. My own Marsha, Jan & Cindy... imageDesigning a Life Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"