Preemies

How long do you visit your LO in the NICU?

How often & how much time do you spend with your LO who is in the NICU?

I feel like I'm never there long enough & feel guilty when I leave.  But, I also know that I need to get some rest myself & try to relax & eat at home.  Currently, DH & I visit DS for about an hour in the AM before work.  After work, we spend about 2-3 hours there.  On the wknds, we spend about 5 hours. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How long do you visit your LO in the NICU?

• Had to comment as my preemie is also named Henry Oliver. I think this is like a lot of other things in parenting- there is no right answer. You have to seek balance, and right now esp., prioritize your health and sanity so you can be there for your LO.

I spent tons of time in the NICU, it was hard to step away, but that was what kept me sane. I was there from 10-11am till 7-9pm almost every day. DH joing me after work from 4:30-7 or 9pm. We stayed later when it was bath night.

The downside of being there so much was that I was exhausted. I really should have taken breaks for naps, and wished all.the.time that they had a place for mom's to lie down. Since we brought DS home at 35 weeks, it's been a LONG journey through this "newborn" phase. I haven't had more than 5 hours in a row of sleep since my 2nd trimester and it does catch up with you.

In the end, I would say if I had to do it over again (praying that I don't!) I would prioritize getting plenty of rest, eating well, and taking care of things at home  and then would spend whatever time I could with LO. Also, try to make the most of the time you do spend- kangaroo if possible, take pics, and check in with the neo team. GL! Hope your NICU time flies by!

BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • When both girls were there it was 9am to 3 daily then we would go back at night with DH. Now with Brooke home I am going from 9-12 then 4-7 with DH. So far it has been working out well. 
    Married to Brandon since 2/14/06
    Twin Girls born on January 1st 2012:Brooklyn Avery(Brooke) & Eliana Meredith(Ellie)
    Ellie and Brooke both have Juvenile Diabetes
    Adopted a Brother and Sister in January of 2012
    Levi Ryan-October 25th 2007 and Caroline Paige(Carly)-July 23rd 2009
    Jonah Samuel born April 21st 2013
    Expecting Baby #6-June 2014!
  • Loading the player...
  • I am usually there five hours during the day, enough to feed her twice.  I stay longer on bath days.  DH and I go back at night.  If she ready to eat, we may stay an hour or longer.  If she sleeping, it's usually a quick night visit.

I hope that the rest of your time in the NICU is quick and uneventful.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I would go from like 8-12 then go back from 5-10 pm then sometimes if even take DH home because he had to sleep for work but I'd go back til 1 or 2am. Especially if one of our fave primaries were on, because I enjoyed talking with them about preemies & DD. I think the important thing is finding balance. Some days, I'd be exhausted so I'd stay home & rest and just call & check on her a lot. 
  • Thanks, Ladies.  Now I'm feeling a bit more guilty about not staying longer.  I would if I could, but I'm waiting until LO is home to take the rest of my maternity time :(

• After I went back to work, I spent an hour at lunch and maybe an hour or two in the evenings.  H and I had a really hard time spending more then an hour or two at time at the NICU.  The constant alarms and beeping.  It was just hard especially in the beginning since there wasn't really anything we could do but sit and stare at her.  

Don't feel guilty.  Do what's right for you.   

• With DS I also visited for only an hour. I felt like he needed time to rest. I also got everything in the nursery ready for him to come home. There is no right or wrong time, as long as you feel you're spending enough time with LO.
  • when both my twins were there, I spent about 8-9 hours a day every day. Once my DD came home, I would go to see DS for about 4-5 hours a day during the week and probably like 5-6 on the weekend.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No matter how much time you spend there you will still feel guilty about the amount of time you are there and when you leave- I know I did! I wasn't working when she was in the NICU so I was there a minumum of 7 hours a day and then again for an hour or two with DH at night. There was no rooming in or anything like that at my hospital. I didn't take care of myself at all when LO was in the NICU. I was a zombie who basically was either at the NICU or pumping. You have to take care of yourself too!
    Photobucket
  • imagevsalt31:

Thanks, Ladies.  Now I'm feeling a bit more guilty about not staying longer.  I would if I could, but I'm waiting until LO is home to take the rest of my maternity time :(

Don't feel guilty. Honetslty, taking the time when LO is home will be great for the both of you. Please don't beat yourself up, you are going through enough already

Photobucket
  • I got there at 9am, stayed until 4ish.  Went home, ate dinner with H, and we both went back together from 7-9.  It was exhausting.  Looking back, I sometimes wonder if I would have been better off sleeping more.  I had a c/s and couldn't go back to work until I was released at 6 weeks.  At that time, it was almost time for him to come home.  So, it isn't like I had a lot else to do. 
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)

• Hello! I am a lurker on this site mostly.   :) We currently have a son in the NICU who was born at 32 weeks in January. He has been in NICU for the past 5 weeks. I have not returned to work yet, so we are spending approximately 4-6 hours a day.

I also feel like at times we should be spending more time. I think until we get him home-nothing will feel like enough. I don't think you should feel guilty at all about length of time spent there. You need to decide for yourself what is best & it may change from day to day. You need to take care of yourself so that when your LO comes home you are ready to be there for him/her.

• DS had 2 month NICU stay and at the beginning I would spend about 12 hours a day in the NICU. I was told many times by nurses that I needed to go home but I felt so guilty leaving my son there alone. When my BP shot back up I had to take it easy and get rest. After that I would spend between 8-10 hours a day at the NICU and DH would join me for about 4 hours after work. We always wanted to stay for shift change to make sure the new nurse coming on checked on DS before we left... had problems with that early on. The older he got the more we wanted to stay because he was doing more. Early on he needed the time to be alone and not bothered. It seemed like he would brady every time we would talk or lift his incubator blanket so it was better to leave him be, also gave me time to recovery from the c-section.

Mom to former 30 weeker born early to Pre-E. Now happy, health and growing at home!
  • I agree there is no right answer to how long you should stay in the NICU everday - everone is different and you cant let yourself feel guilty about it. We were in for 4 months - the first two months I would spend anywhere from  10-14 hours in the NICU every day - I practically lived there - they just set up a recliner and pump next to DD's isolette and thats where I would stay from the time DH would drop me off in the morning until the last touch time we could make still standing. After a while the hospital staff made me take a day off - I started back to work PT after two months and the last two I would spend a few hours in the morning, go to the office for a few hours and go back for a few hours, it was a better balance not being there all the time but in the begining I felt I had to stay, my DD was very micro and i was too scared not to be there if anything happened, when she was bigger and healthier it was much easier not to be there.
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I visited Annabelle from noon until 4ish and then I would go home and then come back with hubby after dinner and stay until 9 or 10 p.m. The two weeks she was in the hospital, those were the weeks I couldn't drive, so I had to get a ride with family to take me there.

• When I went back to work I was only there for like 3-4 hours a day. I got home from work around 5. Scarfed down dinner and went to the NICU from like 6-9/10. 

It was so hard to balance work, NICU, pumping, life, and plus as a teacher it isn't like my day ends at 5- I had work to do at home too.

So I tried to spend more time on the weekends. Some days I would be there for 8-10 hours. But DH also dragged me out of there a lot. We needed to clean the house, get food ready for the week, spend some time with the dogs etc. So there were weekends that we were only there for 5-6 hours. I would go in (if memory serves me) around 9 for the 9:00 feeding and stay through the 12:00 feeding. Then I would go out and do stuff. I would go back for the 6pm feeding and stay through the 9pm feeding and then go home for the night.

Ditto the PP's about not feeling guilty about the time you spend there. You do what you can to keep yourself healthy, rested, fed, and sane. It is really hard to go back to work with an LO in the NICU. But you have to (as I did) to get your time with them when you get home.

Hoping for a short and uneventful stay for your LO! 

• Try not to feel guilty.  I know that's easier said than done.  Everyone has a different situation and you need to try and balance what's best for your situation.  Get things ready at home, take care of yourself, spend time with other family members. 

Make the most of the time that you spend at the NICU- learning to care for LO, talking to the nurses and docs, and bonding with LO as much as you can.  Quality time is better than logging a lot of hours there. 

• I had the same guilt. I would take note of everyone else near us in the NICU and make sure that I was always there more than the others.  I tormented myself on how much time I spent there.  My girls were there 111 for E and 78 for S. It was impossible for me to spend everyday all day there. I had to go back to work full time as well. Every morning when I would get up for work, I would call and check in on the girls. If they had a rough night or needed milk, I would run by before work, (usually after parking, traffic, scrubbing in I would only have 10-15 minutes). I would call every 3 hrs when I would pump at work. Again, depending on the day and what was going on with the girls, I would go to the hospital at lunch. Somedays I just got see then for 20 minutes, but I would need to see for myself they were okay. I would go every day (expect for 3 days) from 4-5:30. The NICU would shut down for shift change for an hour or two. I would go home grab dinner and then most nights DH and I would go back after the NICU would open for the night care and feeding and would stay about an hour.

The nurses either made me feel quilty about staying there too long, or killing myself to get there or the nurse would act all snobby and ask when I was coming in. It got super tricky when S came home a month or so before E. DH and I work different shifts so that we dont have to do daycare. So, if I went I would have to take S with me. I hated taking her with me.

You have to do what you can, no matter how much you are there, you will feel guilty. Hang in there momma!

• DD was late preterm and a feeder grower, so we were very lucky.  Once her twin was released, we went every night for the 8 pm feeding and stayed 30-60 min. On the weekend we would go twice.  There was a lot of guilt with being with the other baby so much more, but we just didn't have a lot of options.

I have a wild amount of respect for preemie moms. I had a TON of anxiety with the alarms and all, and DD was fairly healthy. 

• I think a great deal of it has to do with how healthy your little one is.  With my son he was stirctly a feeder and a grower (born at 33 wks 5 dys) with no oxygen or IV.  I was trying to finish up my semester of grad school so that I would not lose my funding, while DH worked, and still trying to get the nursery put together.  The NICU was an hour from our home.  Typically on the weekdays we would go in for his 9pm feeding ( he was on an every three hour feed schedule and the NICU had 24 hour visiting), typically arriving at 8:30.  We would typically stay until 10pm, so about an hour and a half every day.  On the weekends it was similar, although typically earlier in the day. 

No matter how much you go, you will still feel guilty.  I personally cried alot, when I was home without the little guy.  And it was hard.  But at the same time, I new that he was getting excellent care at the NICU and tried to get everything ready at home so that I would have the most time possible to spend with him and care for him when he got home.  Our NICU stay was just over two weeks.

• I couldn't stay for long streches at a time.  I needed to be doing something.  We/I would go for about an hour at a time 3-5 times aday (luckely we lived close) or would run errands - since I had little baby stuff ready and need a whole bunch of things.  I liked being there during times when there was something to do - feeds/changes touch.  At the beginning the nurse (my fav) got him out for me to hold and then another babygot in to trouble and she couldn't leave him.  I got to hold ds for over 2 hours that was awesome.  DS was only there 4 days after I was discharged so it was that long running around - and preparing.  It felt like forever though.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I would usually spend between 2-5 hours there, depending on the day. I worked from home in the morning in order to save my leave time for when she came home, so I would head over after lunch. For the first few weeks, I was dependent on friends and family to drive me since I had a c-section; it would depend on their schedule. Sometimes my ride could take me at 11:30 or 12, sometimes not until 2:00 pm. I would stay until my husband came by after work, visit for a while and then we'd go home. The latest I could/would stay was 6:30 because visitors were not allowed from 6:30 - 7:30 during the nurses' shift change.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• As a preemie parent it was extremely hard to adjust to our DD being in the NICU.  I felt like my emotions were going 5 million different places with home, dog, family and the most important thing, our daughter who needs us the most.  DH and I live outside the city about 30 minute drive on I-95 so traffic was hectic but I could never be satisfied with myself on how long I devoted to our daughter.  Parking was very expensive...about 10-15 bucks a day so we had to make the choice of going together when DH was on shift work.  We both wanted to go down there and see DD but could only go for as little as 2 hours on the days he worked.  On the days he did not work we got done housework and then spent a good 6-8 hours in the NICU.  Don't be too hard on yourself.  I know that a nurse told me to stay home one day and put my feet up and watch tv.  She said I was developing NICU Psychosis.  Ugh...anyway...hang in there. 
    Olivia Madison born July 27th, 2011 at 27w6d at 10:44pm 1lb 11oz 13 1/2 inches delivered c-section due to Severe Preeclampsia and PIH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"