Upstate NY Babies
Options

Furniture fabric

What holds up well to kids and/or pets?  IDK what we have now but the dog has ruined it and it looks like crap.  From what I've read or been told, microfiber works the best? Really, we just need to kick our dog off the couch but I'm worried that it will be one more thing for me to stress about during the day. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyName Ticker

Re: Furniture fabric

• Options

We actually have slip covers on our living room furniture.  Not the nicest looking things ever, but it's nice to be able to wash them as needed.

We have soft microfiber furniture in the basement and have been happy with it.  We don't have a dog though...

DD1: 3/31/10 DD2: 9/7/11
  • Options
    Yeah - microfiber is the way to go. Not the most attractive ever but better than stains! We take the covers off and put them right in the washer once a month or so. Works great!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Really? We hated our microfiber - and that was just with a dog. Granted, we got it at Value City, so it was cheap microfiber. But bc of it looking horrible after just a couple years, we said we would never go back. We have a black leather in the basement she is not allowed on, but spills wipe right up. And our main couches in the living room is a dark green fabric that has ridges. I haven't noticed any stains and the dog hair vacuums up well.
  • Options

imagejnk062602:
    Really? We hated our microfiber - and that was just with a dog. Granted, we got it at Value City, so it was cheap microfiber. But bc of it looking horrible after just a couple years, we said we would never go back. We have a black leather in the basement she is not allowed on, but spills wipe right up. And our main couches in the living room is a dark green fabric that has ridges. I haven't noticed any stains and the dog hair vacuums up well.

Hmm, how did you clean it? We have had ball point pen scribbled on ours and it washed right off. We bought our newer one at Raymour and flannigan a year ago and it still looks new. In addition to putting the cushion covers in the washer I use a little steam cleaner to clean the rest. I went in wanting a much more expensive fancy couch but the salesman said if you have little kids, you need microfiber. I think I have wanted to call him 5 diff times this year to thank him for talking some sense into me. He said when the kids are grown, then you can get linen, haha.

The thing I hate about microfiber is butt prints. I hate seeing the indentation of my butt if I get up from sitting a certain way.  

• Options
    imageTelyco:

imagejnk062602:

Hmm, how did you clean it? We have had ball point pen scribbled on ours and it washed right off. We bought our newer one at Raymour and flannigan a year ago and it still looks new. In addition to putting the cushion covers in the washer I use a little steam cleaner to clean the rest. I went in wanting a much more expensive fancy couch but the salesman said if you have little kids, you need microfiber. I think I have wanted to call him 5 diff times this year to thank him for talking some sense into me. He said when the kids are grown, then you can get linen, haha.

The thing I hate about microfiber is butt prints. I hate seeing the indentation of my butt if I get up from sitting a certain way.  

OMG, this!  DH always sat in 1 spot and it was like he was there even when he wasn't haha.

I probably didn't clean it right.  Mostly just blotting spots with vinegar/water and then water.  Ours didn't come off the cushion though.  Also, the dog hair clung to it - wouldn't come off with vacuum.  Only way to get it off was to use a lint roller which took forever.  So I like being able to vacuum the fabric couch.

• Options

Here's a pic of it after we bought our house and DH and his friends were moving it in lol.  It got stuck in the basement stairwell.

• Options

yeah microfiber is bad..my mom just got a microfiber couch and it already had a huuuge stain where her cat threw up and she tried to clean it.

My couch is chenille I think and a dark color.. its not what i would have chosen, but its easy enough to clean and doesn't show a lot of dirt/stains.

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"