Single Parents

When did your child sleep through the night?

My little one's schedule hasn't changed since birth. He still wakes up 3 times a night. It's become pretty exhausting. I know no two babies are alike, but just to get some perspective, when did your little one start sleeping through the night?

Did you do any kind of sleep training? If so, when did you start? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When did your child sleep through the night?

• I did the Ferber method on my son beginning at 8 months, he did wonderfully and within the first week he was only waking once or twice a night. Prior to that I bedshared and nursed so we basically snuggled all night long with the occasional half awake boob switch.

Honestly, I am not trying to come off as rude or anything. But at 4 months old you should be extremely grateful your baby only wakes 3 times a night. It took nearly a year for me to get my child there. I would do unspeakable things to have my child sleep that well at 15 months.

When we moved to our new home he slept soundly all night long for two weeks straight. Now? I kid you not when I say he wakes up crying at least 4-5 times a night if not more. It's torture and it's like all of our sleep training went right out the window. I came to work half asleep this morning from the lack of a decent nights rest. I got maybe 3 hours of sleep.

But like you said, ALL babies are different. My friends 5 month old sleeps almost through the entire night and has since she was 2 weeks old with zero sleep training. Also, it is recommended to not begin any sort of sleep training until your child is at least 6 months as that is when they begin to learn how to self soothe.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I never officially did any sleep training.  Right around 9 1/2 mths, DS began to consistently sleep through the night.  I had gotten so used to getting up in the night, that I was actually more tired when I got a full nights sleep, until my body got used to it again!

I hate to say it, but I have friends with 2 and 3 yr olds that don't sleep through the night yet. 

Hopefully you'll be one of the luckier ones and not have to wait too long.  It won't last forever.

IAmPregnant Ticker Support with Integrity
  • Loading the player...
  • The twins still get up at least once a night. They were waking up 5+ times when I finally Ferberized them around 11 months old. 

Corbin sleeps about 7-9 hours right now. Every baby is different! 

imageimage

TheseFourButton-1.png

• DD - 6 weeks, still an awesome sleeper like me.  No sleep training, she just likes to sleep.

DS - 15 months, no joke.  He is still a horribly light sleeper. couldn't try CIO until we were in our new house and the kids had their own rooms.

SS10 - SD9 - DD7 - DS5 - DS born 10/3/12
  • 15ish months. I tried sleep training when he was about a year old but it didn't work. He'd just get more and more upset and would keep crying for hours if I let him (I went in at increasing intervals). Then at 15 months I got a white noise machine, a night light, and he found a lovie. That was the magical trick.
  • Thanks for all the good info. I agree he's too young for sleep training. I'm still going by his eating and sleeping schedule. I guess I'm just really tired and needed some advice or hear that there's some hope in my immediate future. Thanks again.
  • imageDarthNBJenni:

The twins still get up at least once a night. They were waking up 5+ times when I finally Ferberized them around 11 months old. 

Corbin sleeps about 7-9 hours right now. Every baby is different! 

This was DS (waking up AT LEAST once a night) until he started at a center daycare 3 weeks ago.  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

In my bag
    d90
    50mm f/1.2 * 28-85mm (Macro) f/3.5-4.5 * 70-300mm f/3.5-4.5
    Opteka Fisheye Adapter * Lightscoop
  • I saw the pediatrician yesterday for his 4 month checkup and he said no sleep training until at least 6 months. Ughhhh, but I'm so tired. Okay whine over.
  • DS started sleeping through the night around 12 weeks.  I didn't do any sort of sleep training, but I did start feeding him less at night and more during the day.  Also, read Babywise or The Baby Whisperer.  They have such a great routine of eat, activity, sleep, repeat, all in 3-4 hour cycles throughout the day.  Once your baby starts to realize that daytime is for eating and playing, and nighttime is for sleeping, he will begin to sleep through the night.  Also, consider replacing night time feedings with a pacifier.  I don't believe in CIO - I know it works for a lot of people, but I have never done that with my son, and once he came to realize that sleep was a good thing, he started to look forward to it, and he has gone to sleep by himself and been an awesome sleeper since about 6 months.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Check out my blog ThreeHundredPages.com Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Children are supposed to sleep through the night?! Guess my DS missed that memo. He is a horrible sleeper, but it is getting better slowly. Hang in there, someday you'll sleep again!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"