Minnesota Babies

Question about medication for migraines - Fioricet

With my first pregnancy, I got a lot of headaches. Never really to the point where tylenol didn't fix them, though.

With this pg, I've started getting migraines a lot. Debilitating, can't move for 2 days (which is hard when I have a 17 month old running around), migraines. So yesterday at my routine OB appt, he prescribed me something called Fioricet for them. He said take one or two every time I get a migraine, and it should work like a charm. It's butalbital (a barbituate), acetaminophen, and a small amount of caffeine.

Now, I know he wouldn't have prescribed me something that wasn't safe for the baby, but I thought I'd ask a few fellow mommies about whether or not any of you have experience with this med? I get really really sick with narcotics (codeine, vicodin, percocet, etc), so I really didn't want him to prescribe me any of that. But reading up on the internet, there seems to be a little controversy with Fioricet while pregnant, although he said it's the most common med he prescribes to his pregnant patients for migraines.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as I seem to get these migraines at least every 2-3 days! Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Question about medication for migraines - Fioricet

• I was actually prescribed this same med this pregnancy for what my OB thinks is migraines. I tend to disagree they are migraines but have tried the medicine. And the few headaches I have got it cures it right up. My OB said it is perfectly safe for pregnancy, and I trust her completely.
    "imageimage
    The big sister, and Momma 30 weeks along with baby sister
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Food Blog, Family and Baby Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"