C-sections

Post C Exercise

When did you begin exercise?  When were you able to do more than just walk?  My doc said I needed to wait 8 weeks to do anything beyond a brisk walk.  I'm really nervous I'm not going to lose weight prior to returning to work and don't want to invest in new clothes or wear my maternity 12 weeks pp.  I'm also watching what I eat, but my thighs and other areas need some serious exercise. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Post C Exercise

• I started walking as soon as I got home from the hospital.  By about 2 weeks pp, I was walking as far as I would usually run (I'm a runner and ran my entire pregnancy -- up t 41w2d), which was 3-5 miles pushing a stroller.  Around 3 weeks pp I was doing light ab exercises.  I started running again at 5 weeks pp and did a 3 mile run about 5 weeks pp.  My brother is an OB and he said that if you're healthy and had no complications and feel up to it, it's really unlikely that you'll damage anything by exercising/doing abs, etc. about 3 weeks pp, so I just followed his advice and began working about long before I had my post-partum check-up.  My first pp run was very tough (10 minute miles and I had to take walking breaks -bleh) but my 12 weeks pp I was totally back in it and was running at the same speeds and distances as before I had a baby.  I fit in all of my pp clothes when I went back to work at 12 weeks, but I also attribute that to breastfeeding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm only walking right now - so I'm not going to be much help on when you can begin, but my reasoning is that I'm worried about scar tissue. I'm a runner also, & ran/walked 5 miles the day before my scheduled c, but I've heard horror stories about scar tissue pains, so I'm holding back until 6 weeks. We have gone on a handful of 2 mile walks with the stroller, but it's chilly here so it's holding us back (& I'm not up for leaving my LO to go to the gym yet).

But that's awesome for the JG! You give me hope :-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was walking pretty much right away, but I was a lot slower than normal.  I bought a few exercise videos that I did around 8 weeks pp but I was really sore and tired afterwards, and I wasn't losing any weight.  I totally am in the same boat as you - butt and thighs need some serious work, but in the last week or so I've noticed clothes fitting looser and the weight is slowly coming off.  Now would be a good time for me to get back into an exercise routine. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• My doctor said since my vaginal wall was not affected I would be able to exercise sooner, but to listen to my body and not push myself.  I did brisk walking from 3 weeks PP to 6 weeks PP.  I was able to do some light running at 6 weeks PP but felt very winded and sore.  I noticed a difference at 8 weeks PP, I was finally able to push myself a little more with my workouts.   

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • Listen to your body, it'll tell you when it's too much.

My doc gave me the greenlight to pretty much do whatever I wanted, as I had exercised/jogged until 41wks.  I started walking right away, at first it was verrrry slowly and for short distances, and over the first 2wks I increased the pace and distance.  It was definitely uncomfortable/sore at first, but nothing painful.  By the third week, I was able to go for a short jog.  By the end of the first month, I was back to jogging about 4-5miles without much problem.  After about 6wks, I was completely back to normal (about 6miles with the stroller).  Still occasionally sore or itchy along the scar line, but I have a feeling that's something that won't ever go away.

It all depends on the person, and how much you exercised before and during pregnancy.  Just listen to your body, and treat it well!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"