Attachment Parenting

Plastic toys - WWYD?

DS's toy collection is already what I would call "out of control" and he's only 5.5 months.  This is in large part due to the fact that every time someone in the family sees him, they insist on giving him some new plastic toy.  I'm extremely grateful for their generosity, but I don't particularly care for these sorts of toys and most importantly, DS doesn't like them.  He picks them up, seems interested for about 5 seconds, and then throws them on the ground.  He'd rather chew on a burp cloth, his shirt, or play with his stuffed toys.  (I guess he's just a soft kid :))  I've tried telling family members that he isn't really fond of the plastic toys, and I've tried to say that he already has so many (and suggesting books or outfits if they really insist on getting him something), but they refuse to change.  

So, my question is, what do I do with all these plastic toys DS won't play with?  How do I get the signal across that he doesn't like them?  I am so grateful honestly, I am, but this kid is starting to have more stuff than I do and he doesn't play with any of it!

Sincerely,

Drowning in Plastic 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BFP 02/04/2011;EDD 10/14/2011;Induced due to pre-e 09/07/2011;Jack born 09/08/2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image

Re: Plastic toys - WWYD?

• If the toys are still in the packaging, return them.  If not, you can donate them to a shelter.  I'm guessing that the relatives won't even know that the toy isn't being used by your DS.
    www.minegoes2-11.blogspot.com

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagealiska:
    If the toys are still in the packaging, return them.  If not, you can donate them to a shelter.  I'm guessing that the relatives won't even know that the toy isn't being used by your DS.

This. It's tough, but we try to keep clutter down also.

For holidays, birthdays we ask for money for classes that we probably wouldn't be able to afford on our own. Grandma's love it because they can go with her if they are in town. And we appreciate it as something that is more valuable than a toy they won't play with.

LO does like some plastic stuff and we are not anti-plastic, but most of our things are wood, cloth, or not toys at all. Like cups and bowls. We are more anti-clutter. 

You could also pull the safety card - talk about the recalls of plastic toys from china the past few years and the dangers of that. We did that with MIL and it seemed to work - now she is freaked out by plastic.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • We just say thank you and pass it on to a friend who would like it or donate it. I usually wait a few months though so that if the giver visits it's there for a little while.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  •  I'd say something to the effect that you really don't need more toys, and then if they don't get the hint just graciously accept them and give them away. Recognize that it made the giver happy to purchase it and give it, and therefore served it's purpose already. That way if you end up not using it or giving it away, you don't feel too bad.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageJosephsSweetie:
     I'd say something to the effect that you really don't need more toys, and then if they don't get the hint just graciously accept them and give them away. Recognize that it made the giver happy to purchase it and give it, and therefore served it's purpose already. That way if you end up not using it or giving it away, you don't feel too bad.

Thanks for everyone's advice so far!  I really agree with the above.  I'm a big fan of donating things we no longer use around the house, so I may hold onto the toys for a little while (like a month or so) in a closet somewhere and try re-introducing them (like a pp said) and if they're still not interesting to DS, then they'll go to charity.  I guess I have a hard time sometimes understanding the givers...even though it makes them happy, I'm very frugal and don't like the idea of buying things that aren't needed, lol.  But, if it floats their boat, then great I guess.  If DS doesn't want it, a child in need will certainly benefit from their generosity.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BFP 02/04/2011;EDD 10/14/2011;Induced due to pre-e 09/07/2011;Jack born 09/08/2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image
  • 5 month olds don't do that much with toys in general, so I would wait until closer to a year to decide if you want to keep them or not. If space is an issue, I would probably get rid of some of them, but not all. 

• Kids actually change a lot in terms of preferences for toys. At 5 months any toy apart from the obvious rattles, soft books and perhaps a sorting box is not worth having. As you point out yourself, your DS is much more into other things such as chewing on cloth napkins. I was however surprised to see my DD pick out toys that I had almost given up on, when we got our big shipment of furniture, after 5 months of absence. She had several wooden pull toys and sorting boxes that she had never had an interest in and suddenly, at 20 months, these are a newfound joy. I would take half the toys away, store them and take them down again in 4-6 months time. And of course, give family the gentle remarks that "DS doesn't like many toys at the moment" to try and stop the plastic bonanza :-)
    Single mom of DD (2010), TTC #2 since June 2013.
    Occasionally I'm blogging about my life with flybaby.
  • Thanks everyone!  I feel fairly confident I can store most of the stuff we have now (we do have limited space which is another issue altogether) and give DS a chance to try them again later...I'm just primarily concerned with adding to the "plastic bonanza," lol (love that LouiseB!).  I'm hoping since DS has become completely inseparable from his new Deglingos (we got it for him on our mini-vacation this past weekend) they'll see he's not interested in the other toys and shift their attention.  I'm also counting somewhat on the fact that he's our first and novel to the family so once the 'new baby' wears off, maybe they'll stop spoiling him so much?  (I doubt it, but I can hope, right?)
  • Donate them to a battered women's shelter, the mother's and children that come in have to leave everything behind, and they rarely get nice, in good shape toys.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When new stuff comes in older stuff goes out.  Like at holidays or birthdays.  My SIL is pregnant so she is getting our old toys.

Some day care centers will take the toys or as said above a shelter.  If you have a consignment shop you can make some money off of them and put them in a savings account for your LO.

Just be up front about all these toys and how you don't need them and how DS doesn't play with them. 

Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagepottermommy:
    Donate them to a battered women's shelter, the mother's and children that come in have to leave everything behind, and they rarely get nice, in good shape toys.
    this is exactly what we do.  youru lo will be so much better off with fewer toys and you will be much happier without the clutter.  the shelter moms and kids will be grateful.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"