Military Families

Ash service?

Anyone going to an Ash service? 

I've had a hard time finding a congregation where I feel comfortable and so I kind of feel like a vagabond! I decided to go to the service here on post and I'm getting super excited! I want to go to the catholic service and not the protestant service but I've been raised baptist...I've gone to lots of catholic services (mainly Advent services) but I'm not sure how I'd be received here...any thoughts?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Ash service?

• The only thing that might make you stand out is not knowing all the "traditions" of the Catholic service.  You wouldn't be able to take communion since you aren't Catholic (they have more strict rules about who can take communion then Baptists do).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well I've been to a couple of catholic services before mainly for Advent but I've been to lots of Mennonite services that had a lot of the same traditions or liturgy. 

But I called my sister who has her PhD in Theology and she told me about communion and not taking it.

I went to it anyway and it was a pretty big congregation, which I wasn't expecting so I blended in. As much as a big pregnant lady can! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm Episcopalian, and the Catholic service is more like what I'm used to than the generic Protestant service. I went, crossed my arms during communion, got my blessing, and listened to a thinly veiled political sermon. On base. I did not enjoy it which made me sad, because Lent is very holy to me. 
    I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
  • imageWishIcouldbeinthe'stan:
    I'm Episcopalian, and the Catholic service is more like what I'm used to than the generic Protestant service. I went, crossed my arms during communion, got my blessing, and listened to a thinly veiled political sermon. On base. I did not enjoy it which made me sad, because Lent is very holy to me. 

I totally get where your coming from I was a little sad too as Lent is very important and holy to me as well.
    It was not what I was used to either. I went on post and it was a little too laid back, people in basketball shorts, flip flops, the preacher joked A LOT. It seemed like a comfy little congregation but to a new comer it made me wonder where the reverence was. I've been to some catholic ceremonies in Chicago that were awesome so maybe my expectations were a little too high,

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"