Upstate NY Babies

Anyone have a child who refused milk?

So DD is refusing to drink milk. About a month ago I switched her from cow's milk to almond milk to see if her ezcema would clear up.  Sure enough, within 48 hours of the switch her skin was perfectly clear! It was amazing!  And she drank the almond milk with no problem.

But now she refuses the almond milk.  I've tried cow's milk again. I've tried a combo of the two. She flat out won't touch it.  All she wants is water.  Water. Water. Water.  All the time.  That's fine but I would still like her to get some of the benefits of milk (even though she gets lots of calcium from yogurt, cheese, etc).  It's been close to 2 weeks since she last touched milk.

Thoughts?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone have a child who refused milk?

• Justin hasn't had a milk since he stopped taking bottles at 15mths. He hated it- we tried all varieties, different temps, even tried flavors. He is a water freak- he probably drinks 10 cups a day, at least. He won't touch any other drink. I always ask the pedi about it and they said (just like you did) that as long as he gets cheese, yogurt, green veggies... he will have enough calcium and vitamin D. Broccoli has more calcium than milk.

I don't understand the push for milk. My nieces are both overweight according to the ped. My SIL is like, "well they only drink skim milk", I've watched and they drink cup after cup after cup. Those calories adds up too, like any other drink.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsWhiteonWhiteSt:

Justin hasn't had a milk since he stopped taking bottles at 15mths. He hated it- we tried all varieties, different temps, even tried flavors. He is a water freak- he probably drinks 10 cups a day, at least. He won't touch any other drink. I always ask the pedi about it and they said (just like you did) that as long as he gets cheese, yogurt, green veggies... he will have enough calcium and vitamin D. Broccoli has more calcium than milk.

I don't understand the push for milk. My nieces are both overweight according to the ped. My SIL is like, "well they only drink skim milk", I've watched and they drink cup after cup after cup. Those calories adds up too, like any other drink.

Thanks for sharing your story.  DD eats plenty of green veggies as well as other dairy so I guess we're on the right track.  I did put it on the list of things to just ask the pedi about at her 2 year appointment.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Our pedi said no milk is fine - as long as she was still getting other sources.  My DD gets plenty - WHOLE milk yogurts, cottage cheese, cheese, etc.  Should be sufficient.
  • My kids drink very little milk.  Brianna will drink a couple ounces of plain whole milk a couple times a week, maybe 12-15 oz a week.  Ty will occassionally drink some milk with Ovaltine, maybe a couple times a month.  It is a treat and something we use when he hasn't been eating.  They eat a good amount of yogurt and cheese.  I also don't get the big deal about milk.  It just seems to make more sense to drink water and eat your calories and nutrients rather than drink it.  With so many adults and kids who have trouble digesting cow's milk, you would think we would be looking into more alternatives to pushing cow's milk on our kids.  Plus just one cup of skim milk has 80 calories, if the average preschooler is drinking 1 cup of skim milk per meal, they are drinking over 1/5 of their recommended calorie intake just in milk. 
  • Yup, she liked the banana yobaby, so I mixed milk in more and more until we got straight milk.
  • Lucie it not much of a milk drinker as well, we give her cheerios with milk so she gets a little bit there (sometimes she'll drink the milk at the end of the bowl because it tastes like the cheerios) thats really all the milk she'll drink.

She, like other pp's gets her dairy from cheese and yogurt, mainly.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"