Preemies
Options

pumping help : )

my son was born 2 weeks ago, he was 9 weeks early. he will be in nicu for a few more weeks and i am pumping for him. he cannot eat through a bottle yet so he is still being tube feed. i am using a medela symphony pump and pumping every 2 hrs. the down fall of pumping is i am only getting 20 ml everytime i pump and he is eating up to 36ml. any suggestions on how to increase my milk would be great. or advice on what i may be doing wrong.

Re: pumping help : )

• Options
    How long are you pumping? I found that if I pumped for 20 min or so per session, I was able to get a second let down and add quite a bit to my volume. That being said, it did not happen right away. It takes time to establish your supply. I EPd for 1 year adjusted 14 months actual and it is a commitment. It just takes sticking to it. Your volume will come up. If after 30 days or so you are not keeping up, then I might be more concerned. Also take advantage of the Lactation consultants at your hospital.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I found that using the Symphony pump at a lower setting really helped me increase my supply.  I also pump for 15 minutes, and if there is still milk coming out, I continue on pumping, but not for more than 30 minutes. 

I also make sure to drink lots of water throughout the day, especially when I'm pumping.  I pump about 6 to 7 times a day now, but when I first started 17 days ago, I was doing it 8 or 9 times a day.  I also found that when I got the larger phalanges (funnel looking things) my milk was easier to get.  

GL!

TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Drink lots of water. Pump every 2 hours with one longer stretch at night. I use my Symphony pump at a lower setting too, sometimes I will bump it up some while I am using it but I usually leave it pretty low. Try looking at a picture of your baby while you pump, sometimes that will encourage let down. Or, pump at the bedside. I did that A LOT when she was in the NICU because it helped me get so much more milk. Take advantage of pumping early in the morning because your prolactin level is higher then & you'll get a good let down. I had to ask my OB for a prescription for Domperidone which has helped me tremendously!! Good luck Mama! Pumping is definitely a commitment but it helps the baby SO much!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"