April 2011 Moms

flying with baby?

Has anyone flown with LO yet?  Any advice? 

We're flying from Boston to Florida (Jet Blue) next week with DS as a lap baby.  Any suggestions for getting through security easier, or what to pack, or what not to pack? 

THANKS!

Re: flying with baby?

• No suggestions here...but I'm eager to see any responses though as we're flying with Liam from VA to Vancouver in April. Have a good trip!
  • We just got in to MA yesterday.  The flight wasn't as bad as I thought.  Here are a few things that helped.

• She didn't want to drink juice, water, or formula during take-off or landing, but she ate an applesauce pouch and it worked just as well.
    • I flew alone and didn't know how to have her stroller/carseat/suitcase/backpack.  So I attached the carseat to my rolling carryon.  To do this we used the caribiners and a metal ring (although you could get a larger metal ring).  Using the latch straps to wrap around and over (but under the handle).  It worked wonderfully!  It was very easy and allowed me to get everything we needed all by myself.  The best part is it can be attached with her already strapped into the seat so I don't have to worry about her running off.
    • She didn't really care about the toys I brought, she played with one of them (a photo book) for maybe 5 minutes.  She was more interested in playing with the stuff in the seatback pocket and looking around/out the window.
    • Security was very easy, they did take her two sippy's out and put them in a weird machine to check them I guess...the carseat didn't fit so it had to be hand inspected.
    • You are only allowed to bring a small amount of baby food on the plane, I brought 4 pouches of applesauce and they said that was a good amount.
    • Don't pack too much, buy as much as you can when you get there.  Bring an extra outfit for LO and an extra shirt for you on the plane...Chloe did have a little spit up (she hasn't spit up since she was 3 months old).  I think it was because she was drinking/eating a lot and the changes in altitude.
    • You get an extra carryon when you have a lap infant, for instance I took a suitcase and a backpack but I could have also taken her diaperbag (I didn't want to be tied down with another bag since I was alone).
    • Make sure to ask when you get to the gate if there is an extra seat for your LO, they usually will move people around to get the baby a seat if it's available.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I wear Elisabeth through security.  That is one less thing you have in your arms.  You will have to get patted down, but it's easier and quicker in my opinion.

You can also bring baby liquids through security.  {Only enough for the plane ride etc}  You will have to let security do a vapor test on them.  You open up the bottle/sippy cup, security holds a paper strip over the opening, they place it in some machine, and then let you go.

Most airlines do not charge you to gate check your car seat, stroller, or pack n play.  Make sure you check with your airline first though.

Diaper bags also don't usually count as one of your carry on bags.  

Bring more diapers then you think you would need for the flight.  I have no idea why, but babies love to poop on planes.  There is a changing table in the tiny bathroom.  It unlatches above the toilet.

Get an aisle seat.  You will have to get up.  You will also have the most room if your baby wants to start flailing their arms or moving around a little.

Board last.  You will have to do what I call the baby walk of shame {every person on that plane will watch you walk past and judge you for having the loud crying baby even if your baby isn't making any noise.  I suggest staring straight ahead with your head held high}  Once you are on the plane you are stuck in your little seat for quite awhile until you are in the air.  That means no standing and holding, no doing the mom bounce and jiggle.  Wait as long as possible before you board.

If you are wearing your baby know that it is technically illegal to wear your baby on an airplane.  I've had some flight attendants just tell me this to cover their own butts, and some actually make me take E out of what ever she was in.

Bring a bunch of little toys.  Switch them out a lot.  Do not wait until your baby gets bored with one.  I keep a rotation on toys hidden.  I do not let her know that I have 10+ toys on me.  She will want them all and then get bored with them all in 10 minutes.  

Bring snacks!  Finger foods, sippy cups, etc..  Also because I'm a germaphobe I buy the kid friendly sticky throw away place mats for the tray.  

Have multiple things of wipes.  You will have to wipe butts, hands, toys, etc..  Have one somewhere handy with easy access. 

If you are going to feed LO during take off, do not start until you are actually on the runway and the pilot actually starts to take off.  I cannot tell you how many times we've been told we are "next" to take off, I put E on the boob and we are still on the tarmac 30 minutes later.

Don't stress.  90% of the flight staff I've encountered with E has been AMAZING!  Also most of the other people on the plane are happy to talk to her and interact with her.

• I have flown over a dozen times w/ a baby including intl trips.Fly red eyes when LO usually sleeps if possible.

First, decide what you HAVE to bring-leaving everything else at home b/c all the gear is a PITA to travel with. If you have a lot, pay the add'l money and park at the terminal vs. further away pkg lot w/ a shuttle.  Do not dress the baby in shoes b/c these will need to be taken off thru security and minimize the metal you wear. If you are bringing a stroller check it in at the departing gate and use it through the airport. Bring a bottle w/ you and time it so your LO can drink it during the acend of the plane it will help w/ the ears. TSA may sample the formula or BM. Also time it so your LO will need a nap during the flight. The loud engine sounds makes great white noise. Bring small toys and snacks (puffs/cheerios) for entertainment. Have everything ready in one carry on bag, chances are you will be in and out of that bag a lot. Every flight I have been on the stroller has been immediately available as I got off the plane in the attached hallway. GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelilylow:

I wear Elisabeth through security.  That is one less thing you have in your arms.  You will have to get patted down, but it's easier and quicker in my opinion.

You can also bring baby liquids through security.  {Only enough for the plane ride etc}  You will have to let security do a vapor test on them.  You open up the bottle/sippy cup, security holds a paper strip over the opening, they place it in some machine, and then let you go.

Most airlines do not charge you to gate check your car seat, stroller, or pack n play.  Make sure you check with your airline first though.

Diaper bags also don't usually count as one of your carry on bags.  

Bring more diapers then you think you would need for the flight.  I have no idea why, but babies love to poop on planes.  There is a changing table in the tiny bathroom.  It unlatches above the toilet.

Get an aisle seat.  You will have to get up.  You will also have the most room if your baby wants to start flailing their arms or moving around a little.

Board last.  You will have to do what I call the baby walk of shame {every person on that plane will watch you walk past and judge you for having the loud crying baby even if your baby isn't making any noise.  I suggest staring straight ahead with your head held high}  Once you are on the plane you are stuck in your little seat for quite awhile until you are in the air.  That means no standing and holding, no doing the mom bounce and jiggle.  Wait as long as possible before you board.

If you are wearing your baby know that it is technically illegal to wear your baby on an airplane.  I've had some flight attendants just tell me this to cover their own butts, and some actually make me take E out of what ever she was in.

Bring a bunch of little toys.  Switch them out a lot.  Do not wait until your baby gets bored with one.  I keep a rotation on toys hidden.  I do not let her know that I have 10+ toys on me.  She will want them all and then get bored with them all in 10 minutes.  

Bring snacks!  Finger foods, sippy cups, etc..  Also because I'm a germaphobe I buy the kid friendly sticky throw away place mats for the tray.  

Have multiple things of wipes.  You will have to wipe butts, hands, toys, etc..  Have one somewhere handy with easy access. 

If you are going to feed LO during take off, do not start until you are actually on the runway and the pilot actually starts to take off.  I cannot tell you how many times we've been told we are "next" to take off, I put E on the boob and we are still on the tarmac 30 minutes later.

Don't stress.  90% of the flight staff I've encountered with E has been AMAZING!  Also most of the other people on the plane are happy to talk to her and interact with her.

This is all great advice. I would only add that you should ask for a seat for LO. Every airline I've flown has accommodated me. I personally choose to bring the carseat on bc he does so much better in it, but even if you dont, you guys will at least have a row to yourself. Also, DS will drink the puree pouches so I brought a bunch of those for him bc for some reason he was starving. Also, if your LO does wear shoes kids until 12 do not have to take them off. Dfinitely wear through security. I've never been patted down, but they do swab my hands for explosive material. I've flown through a number of different airports and everyone has always been great. Ask for wings or a first flight certificate for the baby book. You will be fine!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I usually have my carry on and a diaper bag. I've never flown with a car seat b/c we've only flown to see each of our families and they each borrowed car seats from friends and family. I take the stroller, the umbrella stroller is awesome b/c it fits in the scanner. I carry LO through the metal detechter, never had to be patted down. my big tip is to un pack your BM and/or forumla, any water or food so that they can more easily scan instead of doing a bag check and rummaging. They're much more pleasant to deal with if you're helpful. :)

we've flown 4 times with LO, once was with just me. She sometimes took a bottle on takeoff but it didnt seem to bother her if she didnt. She also usually falls alseep by the time we land. flying by myself was the toughest but she's been the "oldest" and I think she's just getting to that age where she wants to be up doing something constantly.  I walked the aisle the entire time, but people were generally pretty cool about her being ornery.

Good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"