Adoption

"expecting" announcement

Hi All-

We are finally about to receive word that our profile will be placed in our agency's matchbook and on their website!  This is the moment that my husband and I finally feel like we can truly say "we're expecting!".  Our loved ones already know we are in the adoption process - so it won't be a "we're adopting" announcement.  But I would LOVE some input about fun ideas to make the "we're expecting" announcement to our loved ones.  Any ideas are appreciated!!!

(other info - we haven't prepped a nursery or really done any preparations other than researching a car seat at this point.  from the time we go in the books, our agency's average wait time is anything between 3 months-1 year).

Thank you!

Jenny

Re: "expecting" announcement

• We didn't do anything special other than put a note in our Christmas cards. We let people know we were actively waiting and to think of us.

The most exciting thing I did was to sit down with boss and my closest CWs to let them know we were active. Very cool :)

ETA: Some people have issues equating being actively waiting with pregnancies (+ HPT = paper pregnant, etc.) because they"re fundamentally different. But it's up to you.

• We aren't doing a announcement to folks, so I can't help there, but I did want to wish you good luck! Get yourself a copy of Baby Bargains while you are in the researching baby stuff mode. It is wildly helpful!
    Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • When we reach that point, we plan to announce that we are "paper pregnant".
    Rosie born August 29, 2013. Blessed by adoption!
  • After making an early pregnancy announcement for the pregnancy we later lost, and telling everyone about a match that we ended up backing out of ourselves we decided to keep things private. We did not make a "we are expecting" announcement of any kind.  We didn't even make an "announcement" when we were matched with DD's BM. We only shared the news with our close friends and family about a month before DD's EDD. Our announcement didn't happen until 24hours after DD's birth when consent was signed by her BM.

Many people assumed I had "hid" a pregnancy, so we had "explaining to do" with most people. Her birth announcement listed the time of birth and the time she was placed in our arms and said something like "welcomed into our loving arms through the gift of adoption"

June 2010-Lap
    b2b Injectable IUI #1 7/25/10 & 7/26/10 = BFP beta 14dpIUI = 133 MC 9/14 at 9 weeks
    b2b Injectable IUI #2 12/5/10 & 12/6/10 = BFN
    IVF #1 ER 3/28/11 ET 3 embryos 3/31/11= BFN
    b2b Injectable IUI#3 6/28/11 & 6/29/11 = BFN
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome :)

Submitted Adoption Application on 6/1/2011
    Homestudy 7/19/2011
    IVF#2 CX due to Adoption Match
    We were blessed with our daughter through the gift of adoption
    IVF #2.1 ET 2 embryos 2/14/13 7 frostiesLilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageyojenbabe:

Hi All-

We are finally about to receive word that our profile will be placed in our agency's matchbook and on their website!  This is the moment that my husband and I finally feel like we can truly say "we're expecting!".  Our loved ones already know we are in the adoption process - so it won't be a "we're adopting" announcement.  But I would LOVE some input about fun ideas to make the "we're expecting" announcement to our loved ones.  Any ideas are appreciated!!!

(other info - we haven't prepped a nursery or really done any preparations other than researching a car seat at this point.  from the time we go in the books, our agency's average wait time is anything between 3 months-1 year).

Thank you!

Jenny

This is such a hard question. In retrospect, I wish I had done more to celebrate the process of adoption. But my husband and I got pretty beat up in the process (see my siggy) Not only was it hard to hear questions about what was going on with adoption when we were approved and waiting (this got old and mildly annoying although I know ppl meant well) The worst of this  with both failed adoptions was the question from family, coworkers and friends about how my baby was doing... I went back to work after both failed adoptions and the time following this was hell with well meaning people reminding me numerous times throughout the day what happened. Once we picked up my son I was so numb and afraid I never did anything to celebrate. :-(

So... having said that, I think you should avoid making a huge "we're expecting" announcement, keep the people that you tell that you matched to a minimum and really celebrate once your baby gets home-- announcements, baby shower, etc. Just my 2c Good luck in whatever you decide!

33 yo, DH with MFI Iui x4, Dec 2009 to Jan2011 all BFN.... IVF May 2011 BFP, mc June 2011 at 6.5 weeks, FET Oct 2011 BFP! Sweet baby girl born 25 June 2012** started adoption process Feb 2010, approved Oct 2010, failed match in delivery rooms Feb & Aug 2011... Birthmom called back 3d after we returned home. Aug 26 2011, our sweet baby boy comes home for good!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"