May 2011 Moms

Down to one nap?

DS had been on a fairly regular two-nap schedule for some time; the first one around 11:30 or 12:00 for 1.5 or 2 hours and one around 4 or 5 for usually 45 min to one hour. But lately he's taking the noon one closer to 12:30 some days almost 1pm--still for 2 hours, but some days he is just not taking any other naps.

Some days he is clearly tired but he'll fight it and some days he seems perfectly fine. I'm OK with one nap if that's all he needs, but I have noticed that on those one-nap days I can put him in bed a little earlier but he'll wake up 40 min to 1 hour into it, like a nap! And if I wait to put him in bed at normal time he still sleeps poorly meaning wakes up more than on a normal night although he still "sleeps" from 8:30 pm to 8:30 am give or take a half hour. Any one else like? WWYD?

Re: Down to one nap?

• My daughter is like that more and more lately.  The ladies at daycare said she's just maturing and needs less sleep.  Then again, she'll have a day where she just passes out for 3 hours.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My daughter pretty much has been on one nap since about 6 months! She will take a cat nap in the car in the afternoon if we are running errands--but usually one nap.

Our schedule is:

6:00am wake up

10:00-12:00 nap

6:00pm bedtime 

My daughter is my hero.
  • Loading the player...
  • What is the night sleep like? Is he cranky/fussy if he doesn't get 2 naps??

I'm having a hard time understanding your post above.  If his night sleep is more disrupted on 1-nap days, he's overtired and needs another nap.

If the night sleep is solid, then yes, it's okay, but most kids need a lot of sleep at this age. One nap doesn't start in most kids until at the minimum 12 months.

Here is a helpful link to discern whether you should drop it or not. And it's written by Elizabeth Pantley, so hopefully you approve :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Before she got a really nasty cold, DD was transitioning herself to one nap. She just stopped giving tired signals in the morning, and if I tried to put her down anyway, she would pull herself up and march around the perimeter of her crib. About 12-1ish she would finally give tired signals, nap, and then last until 7pm when it was time to get ready for bed. Any attempt to put her down again in the late afternoon ended the same way as the morning attempts. I say just follow LO's lead.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• I still find it amazing that my daughter has been to one nap for a while. She pretty much combined the second nap into bedtime. She does STTN unless something is wrong--teething, sick, etc. But she goes to bed at a ridiculous early time.
    My daughter is my hero.
  • This week he's suddenly gone from three one-hour naps to one three-hour nap. He then gets sleepy (and thus goes to bed) about an hour earlier than usual but wakes up at the usual time and with no extra wakings during the night. So it's weird but doesn't seem to be a problem.
  • imageLisa Frank:

What is the night sleep like? Is he cranky/fussy if he doesn't get 2 naps??

I'm having a hard time understanding your post above.  If his night sleep is more disrupted on 1-nap days, he's overtired and needs another nap.

If the night sleep is solid, then yes, it's okay, but most kids need a lot of sleep at this age. One nap doesn't start in most kids until at the minimum 12 months.

Here is a helpful link to discern whether you should drop it or not. And it's written by Elizabeth Pantley, so hopefully you approve :) 

On one-nap days sometimes during the day he is fussy and showing tired signs but he fights me trying to put him down for a second nap and some days no tired sign at all, no fussiness, nothing, he's perfectly happy. Night time sleep; there's not a lot of difference in terms of waking up crying or being really fussy when he wakes up--in part I'm guessing because we bedshare, it's just that I've notice he'll wake up a couple times more through out the night. I hope that made a little more sense? I have to post and run but when I get a chance I'll look at that link, thanks!

To the other gals, thanks for replying, I wanted to see if there were other LOs transitioning too.

• I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one headed in this direction. For the past week, every few days DS will shirk his morning nap. and be CRANKY the rest of the day until the afternoon nap.  But I can't get him to go down early as always. 

I suppose he'll finish transitioning and we'll be a one nap per day. Which will be so much better for getting around!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"