Georgia Babies

Passport for a toddler

Does anyone know if you need to get a passport for your toddler if you are going to Aruba?  Or would a birth certificate suffice? 

Also, if I do, from what I'm reading online it looks like you will need to apply in person is that correct as well?

Re: Passport for a toddler

• Not sure about the Aruba part- might have something to do with how you get there- I think a cruise would allow a birth certificate but a flight might require a passport. 

When we got DS' passport- we had to apply in person at the post office- both parents had to be present.  Some places allow you to make an appointment- I would recommend this.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Thanks a bunch!  I was reading all the info, but missed the both parents have to be there.  Good to know and the appt. tip!
  • Loading the player...
  • For the passport, both parents do need to be there.  We made an appointment at the Decatur post office and it was super easy.

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Pretty sure if you are flying in/out of Aruba, you have to have passports for everyone. The only way you can get away with birth certificates now a days is if you are on a closed loop cruise - so it starts and ends in the US.

We both had to be present at the post office to get the boys passports last year. None of the ones around us had appointments avialable so we showed up about 45 minutes before they opened and still waited over an hour in line.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Actually, both parents do not necessarily have to be there in person.  There is a form (DS-3053) that you get notarized by the parent who cannot be there in person giving the other parent authority to obtain the passport on the child's behalf.  DH travels for work and we've had to do the notarized form for both children.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We will be flying in and out of Aruba.  Thanks again ladies for the help!
  • Pretty sure you need it for Aruba. I'd do it regardless just b/c its so much simpler to travel w/ passports vs. other documentation.  We've done it for both kids and both of us went to the post office to do it in person.  I was surprised how fast it came.  About 3 weeks for Gavin and less than 2 weeks for Sophie!  Much faster than the adult ones.

• imagevirginia&alan:
    Actually, both parents do not necessarily have to be there in person.  There is a form (DS-3053) that you get notarized by the parent who cannot be there in person giving the other parent authority to obtain the passport on the child's behalf.  DH travels for work and we've had to do the notarized form for both children.

This is correct. You do have to do it in person, and either both parents or one parent and a notarized letter from absent parent. I believe all applications are now done by appointment only at the post office, you can no longer drop in. And you do need one for aruba 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"