March 2011 Moms
Options

1st birthday party!

My DD will be 1 on March 24 and I'm starting to plan her [huge] party!

So, I'm wondering about the order we do things at the party, ie, eat, presents, cake, etc.  My friend had a party for her son in Sept and everyone ate/socialized first, then they wanted everyone to watch him "smash" his cake, but it took forever!!  People were getting bored and leaving.  They didn't start opening presents until about half of the people left. 

Anyway, I want everyone to be able to eat/socialize, see her open her presents, and smash her cake w/o getting bored.  Any suggestions or ideas?

Re: 1st birthday party!

• Options

I think it's a little difficult to completely plan out our LO's birthday parties at this point. They don't really appreciate all that is going on around them, or necessarily care too much. I think adults understand this and if they have to leave and all the gifts haven't been opened then it's not a big deal.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We've done all the parties for our older son at about 5:00.  Dinner is just about ready when they get there.  We eat, do presents, then cake and ice cream.  We'll do the same with DS #2
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I found that I tried to have food out when people showed up, and then from there I gave everyone an hour or so, left the food out for late snackers, and if everyone seemed to be dwindling at the food table then we did presents (so that the messy cake smashing was left so I could give a bath) then cake, once presents go everyone wants to see so they stay. and then after cake all were free to go. that was nearly 4 yrs ago, hard to believe Ill be doing it all over again soon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker m/c#1: 12-22-09 m/c#2: 5-22-11
  • Options
    LO's party is only 2 hours long. We are going to have lunch for about an hour and 20 minutes then we will bring out the cake. I am not doing gift opening at the party because it is too slow and boring. At the end of the two hours we are going to clean up and go home for nap time.
  • Options
    I am planning my son's first birthday in the mid-afternoon. He usually wakes up from his nap at 3. We'll provide snacks for everyone then do presents before he gets too bored, then do cake and ice cream. Then I don't have to worry about providing actual meals for our entire family.
  • Options
    I am planning to do the exact same. When making the invite list, I realized 1/2 the guests don't have children. Any suggestions on entertaining them?
    AMY
  • Options

I don't think we are going to open gifts at her party. She just won't be interested and it is kinda boring.

Gah, March 4th is almost here!!!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"