Hey y'all, I'm Hilly. I post over on MN when I do post. We are stationed overseas right now, and while I still have a while to think about it, I am so stuck in the middle. Either option has pros and cons and neither would be "bad" But, I'm getting a head of myself. The situation:
Our base doesn't have a Naval Hospital, we only have a clinic and get sent to either Okinawa, Hawaii, or Yokosuka for more serious things that they can't take care of here. We're expecting No. 2 in September, and will need to decide at some point if I'll have the baby in a local hospital in town, with a Japanese Doctor, or travel with DD and hopefully H a few weeks ahead of time and spend time at a different base ( with a Chili's!! ) and deliver in a USNH.
Japanese Hospital Pros:
- Close by, no traveling. Stay at Home until baby time.
- Easier with DD, we have a great support system here even with out family. These people are amazing.
-Apparently the Doctor speaks very little, and doesn't prefer to speak English.
- Very assembly line, in and out.
- I am afraid if there were any complications, I wouldn't be able to communicate properly with the nurses, and what ever Doctor was there if the english speaking Doc wasn't on call. The communication is my biggest scare/ reason I don't want to go.
-They like to keep you there for a long time.
USNH Yokosuka, Pros:
- The lodging and Train tickets are free. Even if my mom was able to come, she could stay in the lodging area for free.
-There's a greater ability to communicate what I need / want, obvi. But I just think I would feel more comfortable there.
- In the three weeks before my due date that I'm required to be up there, we could travel to Tokyo, and enjoy the bigger area.
-if H was to be guaranteed to be there when I went into labor, ( the whole time we were there) he would have to take three weeks of leave, which he will have, but it will be sad for him to spend it waiting around, and not three weeks with me, DD, and the new baby.
- The traveling and spending potentially nearly a month away from our home, DD's friends/ playgroups.
So, please ladies, tell me what you would do if you were in my shoes. TIA!