Attachment Parenting

Looking for sleep advice

We are part time bed sharers, she starts in the crib and ends up in our bed every night.  So DD goes to sleep fine in her crib, she just won't stay asleep there. I'm not sure how to get her to sleep longer there. I thought moving her from the bassinet in our room to her crib in her room would make her sleep longer, but it seems to be the opposite. We bring her into our bed and she sleeps all night. I like bed sharing but some day I'll want my bed back.  Also, I'd rather not do CIO.  Any helpful tips on how to make her sleep longer in her crib?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Looking for sleep advice

• For my LO 7 - 8 months was a very wakeful stage for her. By 10months, she was sleeping much better.

I don't think you can make them sleep longer. But you don't have to bring her into your bed if that's not working for you.

We did the "shush and pat" method. Where you don't leave LO to cry but rather stay with them and comfort them.

Honestly though, we went through phases of her sleeping really well in her cot, and then phases of her coming into our bed. We just did whatever worked best for us at the time.

She was around 20months before she was consistently STTN in her own bed, and even now she'll wake for different reasons.. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I have no advice. I'm in the exact same situation. He starts in the co-sleeper and then sleeps with us the rest of the night--and we sleep great! I just want my bed back sometimes. But sometimes, I miss having him in bed with me too. I'll be watching to see if there are any responses.

P.S. How are you? I remember you from the July 2011 board! Smile 

imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMarsee:

I have no advice. I'm in the exact same situation. He starts in the co-sleeper and then sleeps with us the rest of the night--and we sleep great! I just want my bed back sometimes. But sometimes, I miss having him in bed with me too. I'll be watching to see if there are any responses.

Hi! Doing great! You? I hardly come on TB anymore since joining the fb group haha!

We sleep great too when shes in the bed, so its not really a huge deal I guess lol.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageKerri816:
    imageMarsee:

I have no advice. I'm in the exact same situation. He starts in the co-sleeper and then sleeps with us the rest of the night--and we sleep great! I just want my bed back sometimes. But sometimes, I miss having him in bed with me too. I'll be watching to see if there are any responses.

Hi! Doing great! You? I hardly come on TB anymore since joining the fb group haha!

We sleep great too when shes in the bed, so its not really a huge deal I guess lol.

I'm doing pretty well. I'm on TB a lot, but don't post nearly as much as I used to. I haven't been on the July board at all. It's not the same since everybody left it for FB (it's actually pretty lame now, so I just lurk) Wink. I'm anti-FB, so I don't see any of the July girls online at all, which is kinda sad sometimes. 

imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think my best advice is to do what works for this stage. If baby sleeps best in your bed and you are ok with that, do what works! Your child is not going to refuse to go off to college because she loves sleeping with you that much, right? LOL! In all reality, your baby is still very, very young. It makes perfect sense that the comfort your warmth, breathing , noises, etc. help her sleep better. As she gets older, the desire for independence should naturally come. And if it doesn't and you are no longer happy with her in your bed, deal with it when the problem actually arises depending on the age and stage of your child at that time. No need to create extra work for yourself now when you already have a plan that works (if indeed it does).

I guess the question is why do you fel baby shouldn't sleep with you? You don't needn to answer it here, obviously, but it may help you and DH pin down something helpful that you can process through. If it has to do with independence concerns, because of others' opinions, because of US culural norms, etc. I encourage you to read more about the benefits of cosleeping. Most of the world does it and thrives--the information in favor of it is very, very stong in terms of healthy child development.  This book is about  the how safely sleeping with baby, but a ton of it is about the why.

Another thing to remember is that night-waking is perfectly normal in the first year, and even in the second. In baby's first year, more babies wake than STTN and stastically, night-waking peaks at 9 months, which you are on the path to. DS woke every 2 hours from 7 months to 12 months.

While I don't wish that on anyone or in any way mean to say that frequency is normal, it also isn't abnormal. For me, latching him on to nurse while I drifted right back to sleep made it quite bearable. Obviously each family is different in what they are up for, but for me--changing my expectations, not stressing over it, and maximizing my own movement at night was hugely helpful.

Some great info...

https://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/sleep.html
    https://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/sleepstudies.html

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"