Cincinnati Babies
Options

Northwest SD

Anyone live in Northwest SD?  What can you tell me about the schools pros/cons?  We are in the process of moving and considering either Three Rivers, Oak Hills or Northwest, but we just don't know much about Northwest.  We've researched how it ranks among the others with regards to test scores, but not sure about other aspects.  TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Northwest SD

• Options
    imagedaves_sweetpea:

I grew up in White Oak but I went to Catholic schools after K & 1st grade.  I bet at least 75% of the families in my parents' neighborhood send their children to the parochial schools.  Not that the school district is awful, just that the area is SO Catholic, plus many of the Catholic schools are probably a little better.  Your children will probably be in the minority in their neighborhood if they go to the public schools.  Just something to consider compared to other districts.  Parts of Colerain Township (right around Northgate and pretty much anything east of Colerain Ave) are really going downhill so I would avoid those areas.  If you did decide on the NW district I'd look for a house that feeds into Colerain HS, not Northwest HS.  My brother & SIL live in Montfort Heights and their children go to Montfort Heights grade school.  It is supposed to be one of the better grade schools in the district.

Another thing to be aware of-some parts of Green Township are actually part of Cincinnati LSD.  My mom's brother & sister both live near Western Hills Country Club in great neighborhoods in the township.  My cousins would have gone to West High.  Northbend Rd as you get towards Cheviot is another of those areas that is Green Township but Cincy LSD.  On the other hand, parts of Montfort Heights are part of Oak Hills.  One of DH's friends lives in a subdivision where half is NW, half is Oak Hills.  Also, traffic near St. I's church is a nightmare.  The new hospital will open up down the street in a few years and it will only get worse.  If you drive down North Bend Rd while mass is getting out of St. I's you will sit and sit and SIT!

I would pick Oak Hills over Northwest if possible.  Oak Hills is a HUGE, crowded district though.  They only have one huge HS and everyone says they need to build a second.  I'm sure they're going to try for a levy someday so they can build a second HS.  Thats not a bad thing but people will probably squack if they end up paying more in property taxes.

I don't know very much about Three Rivers.  That's getting out towards Cleves, right?  That's a nice area to live but it's only been developed in the last few years so you might not have as many stores, etc, plus it's going to take some extra time to get to the interstate. 

Thanks for all of the info, very helpful.  We would definately pick an area that feeds into Colerain HS and not Northwest HS if we chose Northwest SD.  Its really my husband that wants to consider it because we want to stay close to his parents Oak Hills and Three Rivers would be closest to them, but there are some homes in nice neighborhoods that feed into Northwest SD that he wants to consider.  He went to Three Rivers and really liked the district and I really like the area, but there isn't much for sale there right now.  Three Rivers is towards Cleves, but a fair number of neighborhoods feed into it even though it is small.  Oak Hills is just getting so big that I'd like to stay away from it, but it is a nice school.  We aren't Catholic and wouldn't send our kids to parochial school.  Just a lot to consider...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"