Toddlers: 24 Months+

carseat sliding on leather seats

We have an older Honda Accord with leather interior. Up until now we had DS' car seat the center and it was very tight and didn't slide. Since we are expecting #2, we wanted to move my son's carseat to the side. However, we are finding that no matter how tight we get the seat belt, the seat still slides during sharp turns etc. Any tips or ideas on how to deal with this?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: carseat sliding on leather seats

• That means that without a doubt it is not tight enough at the belt path. It can be hard to get it tight enough on leather, but is definitely do-able. Don't use something that makes it feel like it's sticking (some people used to recommend shelf paper) because that might hide what really is a loose installation. You just need to work a little harder to make sure there is no more than an inch of movement at the belt path. If the seat is RF there might still be some movement at the head of the seat, which is normal an expected for a RF seat, but the seat should not be able to move more than 1 inch side to side or front to back at the belt path.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would suggest looking at your car manual, to see if it has any tips on how to get it more secure.  For example in my car you need to pull the seat belt all the way out and then as it retracts it sucks the seat belt in to make a tight fit on car seats.  That way with adding my weight on the car seat I can get our seat so tight it doesn't move at all.

image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I usually put my knee and most of my weight into the carseat while DH tightens the belt. That should help.
  • I usually kneel in the car seat to push the weight into the seat as I tighten.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Sounds like it's not properly installed.  I'd find a certified car seat technician and get some help - just to be safe!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJen&Len:
    I usually kneel in the car seat to push the weight into the seat as I tighten.

This along with the video is the only way I was able to get ds' carseat installed properly in my mom's car (which has leather)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fy4RoQkzA0 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

In my bag
    d90
    50mm f/1.2 * 28-85mm (Macro) f/3.5-4.5 * 70-300mm f/3.5-4.5
    Opteka Fisheye Adapter * Lightscoop
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"