Pennsylvania Babies

NO NICU!?!?

I'm a FTM and I choose an OB practice in Carlisle because at the time we were planning to move there.  (I live in enola).   We havent moved but I absolutely LOVE my Dr's office and my Midwives.   But it never occured to me that Carlisle Hospital doesn't have a NICU until today! The have a "level II" nursery meaning that they can do IV's and such but they do not have ventilators.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I mean my pregnancy has been normal and uncomplicated and I would absolutely HATE switching doctors right now... but isn't it stupid of me to drive 35 minutes to a hospital that DOESN'T have the medical care necessary for my LO if something goes wrong?  Not sure what to do now... HMMM

Thoughts?

Re: NO NICU!?!?

• I personally have heard nothing but negative about Carlisle hospital and wouldn't have anything done there, especially not the birth of my child.  Maybe things have changed but it's not worht the risk to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've heard terrible things about Carlisle hospital, and okay to good things about the Women's Center.  A close friend of mine delivered there and had a wonderful experience.   

Personally, the only reason I would consider delivering there is for the LC.  Tammy is fantastic.  

The NICU is something to consider though.  I don't know how comfortable I'd feel with that.   

BabyFruit Ticker image image
         Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
  • Loading the player...
  • I delivered there and had a great experience.  It's a very nice facility and everyone was very nice.  Makes your stay very comfortable.

I never knew that they didn't have a NICU, you'd think that would be something they'd have to disclose.  Maybe mention it to your Dr to get their feedback.

• Life Lion has a hanger in Carlisle. They regularly transfer neonates in need of a NICU to Hershey. That flight probably takes less than 10 minutes. I wouldn't let the lack of a NICU deter me from delivering there, but I haven't heard many good things about the hospital in general.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"