Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Technology obsessed toddler?

Does anyone else have a toddler who is obsessed with all things tech?  If a cell phone is out around her, she wants to play with it.  Camera out?  Better let her see it.  I hate this.  My husband gives in to it and lets her play with his phone and iPad all the time, and I hate it.  I keep telling him that he needs to just let her throw a fit and then she'll get over it, but he keeps letting her play with it.  She is to the point where she knows how to turn the phone and iPad on and she knows which apps to go to and everything.  She goes seriously crazy whenever we don't let her have it.  I just keep my phone out of her view.  If I need to text or call someone, I go in the other room so she can't see.  Does anyone else struggle with this? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Technology obsessed toddler?

• Options
    My DD loves every phone/remote/ipad/laptop, too. As of now, it doesn't really bother me. We always tell her to use "gentle touches" when she's near tech items, and if she is rough or we need it, we just put our hand out and say "mommy's/daddy's turn." So far this works for us, but if/when it starts to be a big fit when we take things away, we will have to keep it out of sight as well. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    2012 Races: 3/18 Shamrock Shuffle 5k; 4/14 E.R. Race for Autism 5k (PR! 25:58); 6/9 Riudoso Sprint Triathlon; 6/24 Chunky Monkey 10K; 7/29 Cochiti Lake Olympic Triathlon; 9/16 Chips & Salsa 1/2 Marathon; 10/21 Duke City 1/2 Marathon; 12/2 Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon in Vegas!
  • Options
    I do!!!!! DS is so obsessed with phones, cameras, computers, remotes and everything else techy!!!!! We have daily hissy fits over cell phones and sometimes I swear he knows how to use things without anyone showing him!!!! Good luck!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My DS is a little older but he was obsessed with the iPad to the point where I just ended up telling him it was broke and I only use it now when he's in bed. The first thing he would say in the morning was iPad and he would flip out of I took it away or said it was his sister's turn. I still let him play with my phone but he isn't as obsessed with it. I really didn't want him just staring at the iPad all day which is what was basically happening especially if I wasn't at home and he was with DH. I know it's hard to keep the phone hidden all day but I just found it easier to not use any other technology around him if ican help it. This goes for my laptop too although like my phone, I do let him use it here and there. 

• Options
    Same here!  We literally keep an old phone charged up for DS to play with.  It has no service but beeps and lights up so he's happy!
  • Options

Mine is obsessed, just like his dad.  We don't let him play with our phones, but we often let him watch while we're doing things on them or sometimes let him watch part of a movie while we hold it.  He never gets to hold it though.  He is pretty even tempered and it's not usually a huge problem.  He looves the computer and any time he sees any older kids with a leap pad or DS, ect.  He normally just watches but he has basically learned how to use the mouse on the computer :-/ 

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options

Yup, here too. Felix loves anything like that. Phones, remotes, iPad/Pod/Phone, laptop, tv, dvd, camera etc etc etc. I just show him how to use things to a certain extent but that's it. If he picks up my camera I'll take a photo of him or of the two of us and then show it to him on the screen. Then the camera goes away and he's okay with that. Sometimes I let him take a few photos too which he loves.

I see no harm in him using things as long as he's being careful which he is good at. However he doesn't use any apps on my phone or programs on the laptop.  He sits on my lap and watches while I'm Skyping or with DH when he's watching snowboard or bike movie clips.

imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    DS thinks the iPad is his. He has figured out how to do many things on it before me. I can't let him see it without him wanting it and throwing a fit if he can't have it.
    DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• Options
    I think technology is a part of modern life and you can't deny that.  It's especially unrealistic to have parents who are on cell phones, computers, tvs, ipads, all day and a child who never comes into contact with it.  So, in our house, we limit it, but for everyone.  She is allowed to watch a few youtube videos or some kids tv for a little time if we are using the computer or whatever, but in general we try to keep everything shut down (for everyone) while she is awake.  It's not that hard for us, though, because we don't have smart phones.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"