Upstate NY Babies
Options

FCUK! Anyone know anything about pneumonia?

So, we've been dealing with a light cold the past two weeks - all of us have had it but it's basically gone. It just lingered forever!

A kid in Evan's class had pneumonia last week - was sent home Wed or Thurs I think. Yesterday evening Evan started coughing more. Today he's coughing even more. He seems fine, no fever. I don't even know what else to really look for..

I can't decide if he is just still dealing with this lingering cold or if he picked up something new?

Don't you NEED antibiotics for pneumonia? Would I really KNOW if he had it?

My kids have only ever had mild colds - and Evan had the flu a year ago...but that's it. So I don't have experience with this, haha!

Re: FCUK! Anyone know anything about pneumonia?

• Options

I am not sure if pneumonia has a fever, but I would call the pedi and find out if he should come in(knowing he has been exposed).  My pedi has ordered chest xrays to rule out pneumonia in the past(once when he had RSV and another time when he had unexplained fevers--so I guess pneumonia can be presented with a fever, but I don't know if he needs one to be diagnosed). Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to call your pedi.  Our pedi has weekend hours(open 364 days a year--Only closed on Christmas Day).

Good luck! I hope it is just a cold.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Both of my kids have had it and they both had fevers, but neither time did I have any idea that they had pneumonia.  And yes, they both had to be on antibiotics.  I honestly can't remember more than that because sadly, they have had bronchialitis, croup, etc. all this year to add to it. 
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Lucie just got over pneumonia.  I don't know if you remember me posting about it a while ago.  She was on antibiotics for it, just a normal dose of omoxicillian (sp?) with that, she developed a double ear infection and mono so she ended up having to go on a higher dose of antibiotic.  She did not have a fever, no cough, no symptoms whatsoever. From what the nurse said, pneumonia is not contagious, its the cold that caused the pneumonia that is.

Good Luck!

• Options
    Well he woke up with a fever. So I don't have my hopes up here :( the pamphlet the school sent home said its usually viral before two yo and bacterial after two ..so basically that it IS contagious. We know what kid it is and Evan was trying to wrestle with him the days leading up to when he got sick. So now I'm waiting on the nurse to call me back. I don't know if I should give him benedryl or Tylenol for fever or what. Great.
  • Options
    imagetab890:

Lucie just got over pneumonia.  I don't know if you remember me posting about it a while ago.  She was on antibiotics for it, just a normal dose of omoxicillian (sp?) with that, she developed a double ear infection and mono so she ended up having to go on a higher dose of antibiotic.  She did not have a fever, no cough, no symptoms whatsoever. From what the nurse said, pneumonia is not contagious, its the cold that caused the pneumonia that is.

Good Luck!

Yikes!!! Poor little babe, glad she's feeling better! Mono!!!?? Yuck! 

• Options
    imageTelyco:
    imagetab890:

Good Luck!

Yikes!!! Poor little babe, glad she's feeling better! Mono!!!?? Yuck! 

Yeah...its been a fun cold season for us.  Good luck to your little guy, hope he has a good night and feels a bit better in the morning!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"