Upstate NY Babies
Options

Anyone ever buy a car from an auto auction?

I really want to swtich to something that seats 7 (really 5 with carseats).  Right now we cannot fit a single person past our 4 in either vehicles.  DH is dragging his feet because he doesn't want to spend any $$, as usual.  We plan to buy our next vehicle at an auction, there is a huge auto auction just a couple miles from us.  They don't seem to have a website or anything.  If you have bought from an auction before, what can you tell me about it.  Besides you need cash,. 

Re: Anyone ever buy a car from an auto auction?

• Options
    I haven't but I was curious, are there any guarantees on those cars? Are they fully inspected before going up for auction or is it a crapshoot?
  • Options
    My dad owns a used car dealership and gets most of his cars at auctions.  Most cars there need work (he buys them and fixes them up)- they are typically cars that dealerships can't unload.  If you are willing to put a little money into the car after buying it, you can get a decent deal.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Don't you need a dealer license or something to buy at auction? I don't think just anyone can go to them (Because why WOULDN'T everyone then?). 

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Options
    imageMelissaSue81:

Don't you need a dealer license or something to buy at auction? I don't think just anyone can go to them (Because why WOULDN'T everyone then?). 

You don't need a dealer license.  BUT you do need $$$ on the spot and you need to remove the car within a day or two.  So little time to go to the DMV for plates and no financing.  Also, there are no warrenties.  And basically that is all I know.  We used to go to regular auctions, so we know how they work.  But never an auto auction.  We have a HUGE auto auction place about 3 miles from our house.  Our neighbor has dealer plates, I have no idea why, but we were just going to ask to borrow them for 10 minutes to get the car from there to here.  I think they may even be related to the ppl who run the auction, which is why they have the plates and different cars every couple of weeks.

I don't know why more ppl don't go to the auctions.  I would think they want warrenties, someone to do all the leg work (title, tax, plates, etc), need financing, and just don't know to.  The only reason we would have cash is because we paid off our vehicles several yrs ago and continued to make payments to ourselves so we never had to pay finance fees again.  Why pay someone 5% over the next 5 yrs when we could put it away ourselves into an acount and make some interest for ourselves.

• Options
    Our van was from an auction. DH's family owns a few shops so it wasn't a huge deal if something needed word. You definitely needed a dealer license to buy though. Maybe your auction has different rules?
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"