Preemies
Options

Newspaper article re preemie quarintine

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/parents-quarantine-twin-babies-for-a-year/article2340671/

I HATE articles like this.  They don't discuss what the twins went through and any of the medical conditions yet they make judgments about the parents' decision to keep the babies under quarantine.  It makes those who were told to keep their babies inside look like we're taking it too far. 

Anyone else want to rage?

BPF May 12, 2013 :: EDD Janaury 22, 2013 :: MC Began On July 14, 2013 at 12W4D

Born at 34w2d:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Newspaper article re preemie quarintine

• Options
    and read the comments.

BPF May 12, 2013 :: EDD Janaury 22, 2013 :: MC Began On July 14, 2013 at 12W4D

Born at 34w2d:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    wtf kind of reporting is this?!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    WOW, is all I have to say to that article and the comments. We will be keeping our girls at home for quite a while. 
    Married to Brandon since 2/14/06
    Twin Girls born on January 1st 2012:Brooklyn Avery(Brooke) & Eliana Meredith(Ellie)
    Ellie and Brooke both have Juvenile Diabetes
    Adopted a Brother and Sister in January of 2012
    Levi Ryan-October 25th 2007 and Caroline Paige(Carly)-July 23rd 2009
    Jonah Samuel born April 21st 2013
    Expecting Baby #6-June 2014!
  • Options
    imageBostonKisses2:

imagelemen99:
    wtf kind of reporting is this?!

Glad I'm not the only one giving this article a big ol' side-eye! 

Agreed.  The ignorant comments may piss me off, but I'd at least expect the story to present a full picture of why they are doing the quarintine. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    where the heckfire is the place where I can send a letter to the person who calls himself the editor of this piece?!?! I feel as though I am going to write a response blog. What a terrible piece of writing.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersPhotobucket Keep up with Scarlette at http://kaylaaimee.com
  • Options

Y'all, the original article is in TIME and reprinted across a bunch of outlets. The on the OP linked is just the worst but the TIME one isn't so great either :/

https://newsfeed.time.com/2012/02/15/parents-quarantine-prematurely-born-twins-for-entire-year/

Lilypie Premature Baby tickersPhotobucket Keep up with Scarlette at http://kaylaaimee.com
  • Options

I've already had this article forwarded to me twice with "see you really shouldn't be quarantining your babies/ germs are good for babies" notes attached.

shoddy reporting

Mom to three beautiful preemies:

Lily born at 27 wks: 2 lbs 4 oz.
    Max born at 27 wks: 2 lbs 2 oz.
    Glenn born at 31 wks: 3 lbs 9 oz.

My twin's birth story
  • Options
    So, beyond the fact that this article is awful and terribly slanted, I don't think that the author is too high on the reporter totem pole.  I clicked on her name and her other stories include: "Basset-Hound Gets Texas High School Diploma" and "Bride Ties the Knot on her 100th Birthday."  Something tells me that if she is writing other junk like that, that she didn't do a whole lot of research or talk to a neonatologist.......that said, I am not a fan of this article.
  • Options

I took the article as calling us preemie parents crazy and basically holding our kids quarantine because that's what we want.  Lemme tell you something IF I had the chance to walk into a Target and not have to completely cover my DD's car seat I would go and be social and do mommy and me classes but WE CAN'T!  It's not because we do not want to...it's because we do not want our children to get RSV and get seriously ill.  I do not think people who are outside "our bubble" GET IT and we have to try and not get angry with them.  I just have learned over the past few months that the people who get it really do get it and the ones who don't...don't care enough to understand the severity of RSV.  This reporter needs her ass handed to her.  I'll gladly give her my two senses and I'm sure my DH would love to as well. 

I can understand why people are shocked that the parents let this go on for over a year and I was a little shocked as well but in reality they probably worked so hard to get their babies off the monitors, get the humidity down in their isolette, have their babies control their own temperature, get them out of an isolette, into a crib, get them off NG tube, learn how to bottle feed and get them off any type of breathing assistance.  IT'S A LOT OF WORK and people don't see how much work it truly is.  I know with my DD she was a 27 weeker and sometimes a week, day or hour of a baby being born can make a huge difference on how well they do.  Maybe this reporter will have to endure having a preemie one day and THEN maybe she will understand how hard it really is. 

I'm done with my rant.  I needed to get this off my shoulder...RSV season is a PIA!

Olivia Madison born July 27th, 2011 at 27w6d at 10:44pm 1lb 11oz 13 1/2 inches delivered c-section due to Severe Preeclampsia and PIH
  • Options

I don't get why they would allow a FILM CREW of strangers into their house before family and friends.  Doesn't that seem odd to anyone else?

And ITA with you guys. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I totally agree with you on that! 
    Olivia Madison born July 27th, 2011 at 27w6d at 10:44pm 1lb 11oz 13 1/2 inches delivered c-section due to Severe Preeclampsia and PIH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"