Minnesota Babies

Artificial Insemenation

Anyone have experience with AI?  My sister has been trying to get pregnant for 6 months, before that she had tried multiple times for just a couple of months, the doctor is recommending AI. 

Ways I can best support her as she looks at this option?

Thanks Ladies!

Re: Artificial Insemenation

• Hmmmmm.... is she meeting with an RE? These are my thoughts on the subject. I apologize if they are a little rambly.

Most OB/GYNs will not refer out to an RE until the couple has been trying for a year. I HIGHLY recommend working with an RE vs. an OB. Getting women pg is what they do. Has she had blood testing done?  A semen analysis? Tried medicated cycles with timed intercourse? Had an hsg to rule out blockages? It seems (and I could be totally wrong) that the doctor is jumping to AI without doing anything in between. Let me know if you have further questions.

FWIW I would recommend the reproductive medicine center at the U. I saw Dr. Nagel, but he has since retired. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I kind of think they are jumping ahead of things too!  I just don't know how much to say...

She's a med student and she's kind of in that "know-it-all" stage right now.  I'll mention the RE to her for sure though.

The ob she is seeing said it's just more cost effective to do the AI when they test the sperm, which it is but like I told her what if they find out his sperm is completely fine...

I'm a little frustrated because I've told her before things take time and although the doctor said since they have been trying a year counting seperate months I was on the other end of phone calls where they were super stressed which can also get in the way.  She's in a scenario though where if they don't get pregnant in the next 5 months they will have to hold off trying for a couple of years.  Which I think is another reason why the doc is pushing the AI. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"