Indiana Babies

any tips?

we have DD #1's 3 year wellness apt tomorrow. For weeks now, anytime i've brought up going to the docotor she gets worked up and says she's not going.  we got a book from the library and read about going to the doctor, talked about what would happen, etc.  she still does not want to go.  when i made the apt i took the 11:00 time thinking i could talk it up as a fun outing.  i thought we'd go out to lunch afterwards and make it a fun girl time.  but again all indicators are telling me it's going to be a struggle.   she's really only been to the doctor one time, other than for wellness check-ups, so i have no idea how/why she's anxious about it.  (well actually, my guess is it has to do with her being shy and not liking the doctor and nurses getting close to her).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: any tips?

• Ugh. I wonder why she has such a negative view? Jocelyn practically begs to go to the doctor. I don't have any really good tips, but maybe you could talk about going to see your friends at the doctor's office and talk about some reward she could get after the appointment. You've probably already tried those things anyway. Or maybe you could just not make a big deal of it and avoid mentioning the fact that you're going to the doctor at all when you're getting ready to go. Just say your going to see some "friends", get her in the car, and go without mentioning "doctor". But maybe withholding the truth is bad parenting? I don't know, I would probably just not talk about it anymore so we could at least make it to the office without a struggle. Not saying that's the right way though!  However you decide to go about it, I hope she cooperates for you. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I like your idea of making it special girl time - maybe let her pick out what she'd like to do?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Other than getting car sick how did it go?
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  •  it actually went better than i thought it would.  although initially it didn't start so well.  i told the nurse DD was nervous but either she didn't take me seriously or i didn't make myself clear enough.  she just went right in to listen to DD's heart and DD practically jumped off the table, grabbed onto me (while i was holding DD #2) and had me locked down.  she was pulling my hair and had a death cling to me.  once we finally got her to let go and stay on the table she did fine.  i didn't love the nurse, but the doctor was great!  he came in and just started playing around with her and she was happy to cooperate!

thanks for asking :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"