3rd Trimester

Getting cervix stretched

So at my 38 week apt today my dr asked me if I wanted to have my cervix stretched. I said sure.  She did my internal and I was still  3 cm dilated and she didn't say if I was more effaced. Last week I was 80% effaced though. She stretched me but I'm not sure to what. It was t bad at all. My question though is, have you ever had this done and if so did it help you go into labor? 

Re: Getting cervix stretched

• i am curious also.  my doc offered to do it at my next cervical exam along with a membrane sweep. (i had one at 36 wks & i was already 3 cm).  I have declined the last two exams, but plan on accepting at my next appointment as i will be 39 wks & 4 days.  I have never heard of this being done before.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My midwife calls the procedure a stretch and sweep so I assume it is the same as getting your membranes swept. I've had it done twice, most recently on Wed afternoon and so far I haven't gone into labour. FWIW,  4cm, thin and baby is 'right there'.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh. I thought they were two different things. Interesting. Guess we will see what happens. 

• I had my membranes swept with DS when I was 40 w 5 d. My MW mentioned she also stretched me from 2 to 4 cms. I was in labor the next morning. But I suspect, like anything, it wont start labor unless your body and baby are ready (FWIW, after my success with DS, I had my membranes swept with DD at about 39 weeks with no results)
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was not cramping after she did it. I don't know that it did much of anything for me. My dr kept asking if it was hurting while she was stretching and I told her no. I mean it didn't hurt just uncomfortable. I didn't start feeling a little crampy until I took my dog for a walk. I'm being very pessimistic here. 

• I had my cervix stretched at 40 weeks 1day. When I had it stretched I was 3 cm dilated and 70% effaced. I had it done around 2pm. Went home did some labor squats and then went to bed. I woke up in active labor around 5am the next morning and had my son at 8:11am.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"