Northern California Babies
Options

If you have lived or traveled outside of Northern California

do you think people here are more fit?  I cannot believe the overall difference between here and New York (Long Island at least).  In general people here seem a lot thinner and more fit.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you have lived or traveled outside of Northern California

• Options

Yes. When I lived in Wisconsin I couldn't believe how many more people were excessively overweight than in California. I think it has to do with climate, to some extent -- when it is blisteringly cold for half of the year, being active is much more difficult, and also the regional food choices there lean overwhelmingly towards "fried".

I remember at a burger place they had a "California-style" burger -- that meant it came with vegetables (iceberg lettuce and tomato).

• Options
    DH and I went to a White Castle in Indiana and DH is not small.  He is about 250.  He looked around and said, "I'm the smallest guy in here.  I can't believe that."  In the area of Indiana where my family lives people there are generally bigger. 
    imageimage
    107 Read/listened to in 2011: 91 Books/16 Audiobooks
    Read 2012: 33/50
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes.  I think the weather here is conducive to a more active lifestyle.  But I also think that the idea of a "normal" body size varies by region in the US, and also by country in the world.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I did until I moved to Southern California.

I felt fit and healthy when I lived in SF. I felt like a cow when I moved down here (at the same size).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagealibee09:

Yes. When I lived in Wisconsin I couldn't believe how many more people were excessively overweight than in California. I think it has to do with climate, to some extent -- when it is blisteringly cold for half of the year, being active is much more difficult, and also the regional food choices there lean overwhelmingly towards "fried".

Fried or loaded with butter. My mom relocated to WI almost 8 years ago and she noticed that fried foods, butter and brats were everywhere. She said people do get the winter blue but she and her husband keep fit during winter by snowshoeing, cross country skiing and shoveling snow.

Me (33)& DX: DOR, FSH-20.3; DH(28):SA=normal 8/11 HSG= clear!
    IUI #1 10/12/11 (Bravelle + HCG + Prometrium & acupuncture) = 10/26 BFP! Beta #1=250, Beta #2= 615. 1st u/s 11/8. image Visit The Nest! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It depends...compared to the South and Mid-West, yes (at least in my limited experience). Compared to Southern California, Manhattan or Hawaii, no. Honesstly, I think that affluence has a lot to do with it. I guess that affluence and high COL areas (aka better weather areas) do go hand in hand.

So, in rambling summary...fit people are rich...areas with nice weather and metropolitan areas are expensive...therefore, fit people live in areas with nice weather or lots of ammenities.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    H and I have always been skinny people, but we're much closer to the norm in south bay than we were in north texas. We looked positively anorexic there.
  • Options

California has the 12th lowest obesity rate in the nation (at 24% of individuals with a BMI of 30 or greater). Take a look at the information the CDC puts out on obesity rates: https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html. The animated map is especially interesting with rates tracked from 1985 to present.

I was just at a conference at the beginning of the month that talked a lot about public health and the built environment...interesting and scary stuff! Here's an interesting (at least to me) documentary that PBS put together with Dr. *** Jackson. https://designinghealthycommunities.org/ He was the head of the CDC and basically got lambasted for saying that the way we build our cities, transportation routes, and suburbs has been a major factor in making America fat.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    imageeverydayeve:

He was the head of the CDC and basically got lambasted for saying that the way we build our cities, transportation routes, and suburbs has been a major factor in making America fat. 

I agree with him. There was a thread on the money matters board talking about commutes - and the people who spend 100+miles a DAY in their car have GOT to be less fit than the people who walk a few blocks to public transportation and then walk a few blocks to their office - and certainly less fit than the people who cycle to work or walk/cycle to do their errands.

Not to mention being more prone to fast food due to the amount of time they spend getting to/from work. 

• Options

People in Manhattan are very slim too. 

• Options

I ahve lived in Northern California ever since I could remember, I was a size 12 when I gratuated high school and all my life I thought I was HUGE.  Totally fat city, always on a diet, etc.

Then I went to college in Ohio and suddenly I was almost considered small!  I was so much more "normal" there than I was here.  I don't know if that was good or bad for me.  Indifferent

But yes, in gereeral I think secretkeeper's theorys are true.  She's a smart one that secretkeeper!  Cool

The Boy Wonder 8/23/06 & The Famous Baby 6/1/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"