January 2011 Moms

What is on LO's feet?

My aunt told me today that JT isn't walking more than 7 steps or so cause I have him in socks and he has no traction.

So I put on his shoes (which I know are getting snug, time for a new pair) and he did seem to do more walking than he usually does at my Nanny's house.

This got me thinking - if your LO walks now, did s/he really learn to take off with socks, shoes/sneakers, or barefoot? If LO isn't walking, what do you keep on their feet? Do you think that this could be true about the barefeet/shoes being more helpful than socks?

Any other feedback welcome ;) 

Re: What is on LO's feet?

• DD is barefoot almost 100% of the time. She'll wear shoes at the park, or a night like tonight where we went to a meeting at a bowling alley and I knew she'd want to walk around. She rarely wears socks - it's either shoes or nothing. I've always read that barefoot is best, but I mostly do it because that's how I was raised living in the south. Our house has carpet, tile and linoleum floors.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Whitney is barefoot all the time. I put socks on her yesterday, that was about it. She will not keep shoes on, and she is walking everywhere. Im concerned on how she will walk on shoes, when I try to put them on her.  I'm sure it will be a battle.

• Loading the player...
  • DS always has socks and shoes on.  he gets dressed in the morning and we put them on, he stays that way all day long.  On a very rare  occasion I will just put socks on with no shoes, and after bath we leave him barefoot until bed.  I grew up with my father making us keep shoes on because we had an older floor that splinters easily,
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Weird. Jay only wears shoes at the gym daycare and when we go out an about. At home and at my mom?s (main babysitter) he wears socks or goes bare foot. If he isn't dressed yet for the day he is bare foot after he has socks on. It doesn't matter what is on his feet he walks the exact same amount. (or runs the exact same amount) He is all over the place. We use stride rite shoes stage one shoes. They are soft and flexible for his feet. But if I put a shoe on his with a hard sole he has a hard time walking. I would do whatever you are comfortable with I do not think it will hinder his walking regardless.

• rarely bare feet (I think it's too cold for that and we have all hardwood and tile).  Usually socks, sometimes shoes if we are going somewhere.
  • If we're at home she's barefoot.  Since she's sick right now I wanted to keep socks on her to keep her feet warm so I put rubberoos on her (socks with the entire bottom rubber so she has traction on the tile in the kitchen/bathrooms).  Once she's done being sick she'll go back to bare feet at home.  I put shoe on her when we go out even if she's not going to get down and walk 1. just in case she ends up walking while we're out and 2.  I want her to get used to wearing shoes while we're out so it's not a battle later on.  She's a little wobbly the first couple minuets when she wears a new pair but after that she walks in them just fine. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • He is barefoot around the house. I put little shoes like Robeez on him if we go out. Big Smile

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  •  

Yesterday DD took her longest walk barefoot. She is either barefoot or in socks when we're at home. When we go out, she wears shoes 'cause she'll almost always stand at some point and anyway they keep her socks on (and it's too cold here to go out barefoot - even if I wanted to random people would tell me to put socks on her). Socks sometimes make it a bit too slippery to walk, I imagine.

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • DD wears socks all the time at home, and shoes if we leave the house.  She learned to walk in socks.  Does his socks have the like rubber anti-skid stuff on the bottom?  Those seemed easier for her to walk in than regular socks in the beginning.

• We either go shoes & socks (for going out) or barefoot at home (because he will not keep socks on).  Right now Joshua is wearing a little pair of Nikes that a friend gave us from her son who never got to wear them because he grew right through them.  Then we have a pair of DC's that DH insisted on buying in the next size up.  Plus for the size after that we have a brand new pair of Stride Right sneakers a friend gave us that they bought for a nephew and they were too small for him.  We are set for awhile on shoes.
  • imageMom2Mack1:

DD wears socks all the time at home, and shoes if we leave the house.  She learned to walk in socks.  Does his socks have the like rubber anti-skid stuff on the bottom?  Those seemed easier for her to walk in than regular socks in the beginning.

Pretty much - they are Gap socks and have some rubber - not completely covered in rubber.
  • She is either barefoot or in soft grip socks at home. I put shoes on when we go out most of the time. I never put shoes on her until she was walking everywhere. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"