Georgia Babies

Cord blood banking

Has anyone already done this? We didn't with Owen because I had heard it was pretty pricey and we just couldn't commit to spending that money at the time. Now, circumstances have changed and we can foresee a possible real need in the future, so I am trying to find out as much as possible. We will be delivering at Northside with a scheduled CS. Has anyone been able to bank cord blood with a CS? Do you mind sharing which company you used and the approx. cost? Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cord blood banking

• I delivered at Northside not with a CS, but I don't think that would matter.  We banked with Viacord.  It was about $1500 (you can pay upfront or make 12 payments) and then $150 a year for storage. 

My OB was also able to offer me a discount coupon better than I could find anywhere else.

• I had a c-section. We used Viacord for blood banking. Definitely find a coupon. They always have some floating around, and it is a significant savings. Ask your OB office.

• Loading the player...
  • I had a c/s with my twins and banked their blood using CBR. It was a little less than the pp's. I will be banking with the upcoming baby too- and they offered me a large discount because I already have my other kids cord blood saved. If you have any questions let me know. My OB office recommends CBR- but I know Viacord is pretty popular too.
    Photobucket Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We did CBR w/ Sophie. It was a c/s at kennestone. I got my kit way in advance and just told my doc- it was super easy. We didn't do it w/ Gavin b/c we had little family history. Between him and her we had 8 cases of cancer in our families and suddenly it became much more important to have that extra peace of mind. Please let me know if you need a referral- we'll both get a discount.

• Oh and beware that via cord had some financial problems at one time and that's why my Ob stopped recommending them. I think they have since been bought out but that's something to consider.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"