North Carolina Babies

WWYD-Nanny

My DS and I got a stomach bug over the weekend, I was pretty sick for about 24 hours, he was sick a bit longer, but not as severe. Since it has been 24 hours since he had been sick, I sent him to preschool on Monday and had my nany come Monday afternoon. My DH got sick late Monday night and was home yesterday (in bed). My nanny came in the afternoon and when I told her DH was sick, she took the kids to her house.

Well, she got sick last night and is at home in bed today. I feel really bad that she probably got it from us and missed a nannying job this morning, us this afternoon and another job tonight.

I normally do not pay her if she misses work (sick, doctors appointments, vacation, etc), but I am feeling really guilty that she missed two other jobs possibly because of my family.

So would you pay her for the hours she would have worked this afternoon to try to make up for her getting sick? My DD has not caught it and I am keeping my fingers crossed she doesn't.

Thanks so much!

Re: WWYD-Nanny

• Due to guilt, I'd probably pay her. I don't know if I would feel that I was technically obligated to do it, but in that situation, I probably would pay her and maybe even get her a card or something. I tend to have MAJOR guilt though, so I tend to err on the side of caution.
  • I spoke with my DH about it and he agreed that we should pay her. A card is a good idea! I do feel bad, but at the same time, Ashley wasn't sick and Peyton had not been sick in over 24 hours, so I didn't see an issue with her coming. But I am sure she still got it from us, I am going to have to fumigate my house ;-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok, here is the thing.  I am a people pleaser in a bad way so would I pay?  Probably.  However, if you do it once you have to consider the fact that she might expect it again if a similar situation were to occur.  It sounds like you did a whole lot to prevent the spread of this illness and who is to say that one of the other families wasn't responsible for her getting sick?  I think illness is par for the course in that sort of profession.  Like I said though, I am a people pleaser so what I think logically and what my conscience convinces me to do are often not the same. Sounds like you have made up your mind but I thought I would weigh in :)

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAngelPack:

Ok, here is the thing.  I am a people pleaser in a bad way so would I pay?  Probably.  However, if you do it once you have to consider the fact that she might expect it again if a similar situation were to occur.  It sounds like you did a whole lot to prevent the spread of this illness and who is to say that one of the other families wasn't responsible for her getting sick?  I think illness is par for the course in that sort of profession.  Like I said though, I am a people pleaser so what I think logically and what my conscience convinces me to do are often not the same. Sounds like you have made up your mind but I thought I would weigh in :)

That is a good point, I had not thought about that. This is the first time she has missed work for me because of being sick, so I am hoping it won't turn into a regular thing. Thanks so much for your input :-)

• imageAngelPack:

Ok, here is the thing.  I am a people pleaser in a bad way so would I pay?  Probably.  However, if you do it once you have to consider the fact that she might expect it again if a similar situation were to occur.  It sounds like you did a whole lot to prevent the spread of this illness and who is to say that one of the other families wasn't responsible for her getting sick?  I think illness is par for the course in that sort of profession.  Like I said though, I am a people pleaser so what I think logically and what my conscience convinces me to do are often not the same. Sounds like you have made up your mind but I thought I would weigh in :)

This is exactly the same thought I had.  If its in your contract that you won't pay for sick days, then I would find a way to make it clear that she shouldn't expect this in the future.  I think if I were you, instead of paying her cash, I might would do a get well card and maybe a gift card to somewhere.  You could get her a gift card to a grocery store so she could use the money to buy groceries since she didn't get paid, but then it would be more like a get well present instead of "sick pay".  Just a thought! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"