Breastfeeding

supplementing with Medela Supplemental Nursing System

I started supplementing my 4 weeks old son on day 8 with Medela's SNS (a small tube that I tape on my nipple so he can breastfeed and get supplement at the breast).  Prior to that he was getting formula via a bottle due to low supply.  On Day 8 we started working with a great LC but my problem is the SNS.  If I can catch my son in the early hungry phase (fingers in mouth, rooting on shirt, etc) then I can get him to latch and he'll suck until the flow slows down (anywhere from 5-10 minutes).  If I'm slow, he won't latch/stay latched unless the SNS is open and flowing.

I'm sure I'm to blame for this since at the beginning, I would feel bad that he was so hungry/screaming that I would open it almost instantly.  Now I'm regretting doing that since I want him to feed on me without it as much as possible.

We're trying to work towards EBF but my flow slows down after the first few minutes and he just isn't tolerant of that at all.  Any one have any ideas on how I can decrease his dependence on the fast(er) flow from the SNS? 

Re: supplementing with Medela Supplemental Nursing System

• When my twins were born at 36 weeks they were two weak to stay awake for full feedings so I had to start pumping day 3. I started with the idea that I would eventually be able to return to EB but once I started, pumping became sort of an obsession. I EPed for about 2 months never really knowing when my boys would be ready to handle BFing and always afraid there wouldn't be enough milk for the both of them. I recentley contacted a LC who gave me a SNS because I waited too long and they now prefer the rapid flow off the bottle. I'm afraid to say that I haven't used it as much as I wish I would. My boys sometimes will comfort suckle for me without the SNS and when I'm full, a couple hours before I pump, then they will BF sometimes to completetion without one, so long as I catch them before they are starving. I don't know what to tell you though. All baby's are different. There are some times when I try to BF with an SNS and they wont finish a feeding either way unless it's by bottle. They'll latch on for just a second and then let go and start screaming and crying and then we are both crying and I finally give up. It's like the SNS doesn't have a fast enough flow either.

I've been looking for a bottle nipple as close to a breast as possible so I could try to keep the interested when I can BF. I found something called the medela calma. It is suppossed to be the most similar. The baby controls the flow for the nipple and has to suck swallow and breath as if he were on a teet. I looked up hundreds of reviews because the nipples are almost $20 a piece and you can only order them online. I bought 2 last night. I'm hoping it brings the boys back to breast when they see that they have to work at the bottle to. I'll repost how they wourk in a couple of weeks when I get them in the mail.

GOOD LUCK! There is nothing more stressfull in the world then trying to BF a baby who doesn't want to.

Amanda, Mother of Bradley August 28, 2008 Evan & Lucas December 10, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"