Postpartum Depression
Options

Do you tell others about your PPD/PPA?

I've been lurking on this board for a while.  I had twins 5 months ago and haven't been feeling well for quite a while, but I thought I just had to "power through it" and these feelings  of sadness, hopelessness and anger would go away.  I finally decided to ask for help a few weeks ago and have been taking Celexa for the past 2 weeks.  It's made a world of difference and things are slowly getting better.

Yesterday was one of the first times I opened up to anyone (other than DH) about my struggle with PPD and being on medication.  I was talking to 3 other women at church (all 4 of us work with a church youth group) and were talking about one of the girls who has been struggling with depression for the past year.  One of the ladies was very outspoken about the fact that she believes people should not take anti-depressants.  In her opinion, they fry your brain and make irreparable damage; they basically do more harm than good.  I felt I had to speak up and tell her that in my case, taking anti-depressants has been a lifesaver,  She maintained her opinion and I maintained mine.  At the end of our conversation, she hugged me and said "I'm glad your pills are working for you," but I sort of sensed a little bit of sarcasm in that statement.  Maybe I'm being a little too sensitive

Have you ladies run into people like that?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do you tell others about your PPD/PPA?

• Options
    no because in my country and because of my country's cultural beliefs, a person going to a shrink or taking antidepressant medication is someone with "issues" (and they often picture someone in a dark hospital with a lot of cocoo people) I understand their ignorance doesn't let them understand that people with mental related illnesses really suffer like a person with cancer... and often someone with mental issues gets more jokes than someone with breast cancer, so no I dont tell people I have (or had) depression... I rather share it with people that are close to me, and understand my situation.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I had a friend who opened up to people at her church about taking medication for her PPD/PPA.  They told her she wasn't praying hard enough and she needed to "give it all to God" and it would get better.  So she went off her meds and had to be hospitalized for postpartum psychosis.

I also had a boyfriend break up with me in college because I couldn't "just get over" my anxiety problems and had to take medication.

I don't talk to anyone else about it anymore.

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

OP and PPs, I am so, so sorry that people react that way to you all! How awful to treat someone that way, especially since some of these people are claiming to be religious.

I am very open with people, and always have been. I mean, I don't go around telling everyone I meet or anything, but all of my close friends and family know that I have had issues with depression and anxiety, and that it has been exacerbated PP.

I have had only 2 negative responses, but they were short lived. My father was "embarrassed"  for me to go to counseling, but that only lasted a few weeks and he got over it.  Another was a friend who was not aware of my situation and started badmouthing anti-depressants and counseling, but has come around a lot since we started a dialogue. 

I do think, like PP said, there are regional and cultural differences for sure.  But I cannot even believe how ignorant people can be, and how anyone could treat a new mother who is suffering with malice instead of caring and understanding.  

• Options
    Ugh!  These responses are not very encouraging.  I've only told my husband and sisters due to the stigma.  I guess I was right in that decision.  I wish I had more people to talk to about it.  I think that would make things better, but it is hard to talk to people when you're afraid of being judged.  It's not like I don't already feel crappy.  Boo to ignorance! 
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I tell
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Yes, I talk to family and some friends regarding my PPD and PPA. Also, while I was working, my immidiate supervisor was aware of it because in a high stress situation, he needed to know if I was loosing control.

I have only ever had 1 person get stupid about me being on meds for my PPD with DD#1. And i dont talk to them anymore due to their idiotic, uneducated, ignorant and prejudiced attitude. I have a permanant chemical imbalance that causes anxiety and depression in a mild form. After my first and now again with this newborn, the hormones push it to an extreme.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • Options

As a mental health therapist and person who deals with her own mood disorder, I know first hand the stigma that is attached to mental health issues. I, for one, believe that medication is sometimes an vital component to healing. Not one to take medication unnecessarily, I had put off going on meds at a particularly rough period in my life.  However when I started having panic attacks while driving, I knew it was time for me to take medication. Luckily, I did not need to be on it long term but when I needed it...I needed it. As with any medication, risk vs. benefits need to be assessed. Postpartum depression frequently gets to the point of needing medication as a component to treatment.

In general, I don't hide the fact that I have my own struggles. I hope to open people's minds about their preconceived ideas of what mental health looks like. Unfortunately, there are going to always be people who have little empathy and understanding of what depression and anxiety is like.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am at a very increased risk for PPD/PPA and my family and friends know. I know I may need them to notice when those symptoms appear and start to get out of hand. Unfortunately, my parents are not real supportive of mental health treatment and it took me years to get help. I still struggle with the negative attitudes people display. However, I know I need to do what is best for me and now my LO-to-be. I am so sorry that there are people who would treat you like that but open up to the people who you need. Also, there are some great support groups out there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have run into many, many people like that, which is why I don't tell most people I am on medication. With most people I have met, when the topic is broached, they seem to think that mental health is a fictional issue. No one is really sick, they're just looking for an easy out or attention. And that taking a pill will suddenly make you happy. Of course, as you, PPers and I know, this isn't the case at all.

My husband knows, of course. I have had depression before PPD and we've been together ten years so he has lived through a lot of dark times in my life. He thinks I should be open with more of our friends, I don't. My childhood friend knows, since she was diagnosed with schizophrenia and understands the judgement people pass. My parents pretend they don't know, so I don't talk about it with them. That's it.

• Options

It depends who it is.  Many people asked if I had ppd, but I had a traumatic c section, so people expect  I would. 

It wasn't generally information I volunteered, but I wouldn't hide it. 

• Options
    Sorry you had to listen to that crap.  I do tell people.  I am not embarrassed at all.  I am a high school health teacher and actually share my story with my classes when I get to the mental health chapter.  I feel that the more women talk about it, the more other women will open up about it.  I think it can help us all.  Just like this board.  I don't feel so alone when I get on it.  It lets me know that others are going through what I am and I'm not a total freak.   
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"