May 2011 Moms
Options

NBR: 2 Questions... Re:Laundry & Expiration Dates

Instead of being a post-whore and making 2 separate posts, I'm combining them into one. Smile

1. I have a not-so-fancy top load washing machine, it's just a regular, non-HE washer. I use Downy liquid fabric softener on the "adult" clothes. I have noticed that when I use the liquid fabric softener dispenser in the agitator , there is  blue gunky crap left over from the fabric softener (in the dispenser). Anybody else have this problem? I know it's not the washer because we just moved and this is the second washer it's happened in. If it's just the brand of fabric softener, what brand do you use?

2. Do you obey expiration dates faithfully? Example.... We had a family get together. My grandma had an unopened bottle of Ranch that expired in September, and at Christmas time, my family opened it and ate it. With food, I pretty much always go with the expiration dates. If it's a "best if by" then I will go over. I don't always go by the expiration dates on medication or sunscreen. But food, always.  My family says I'm too fussy.... Am I?

Re: NBR: 2 Questions... Re:Laundry & Expiration Dates

• Options

1)  I've also never used fabric softener...sorry I can't help you on that one.

2)  I often donate to the local food shelter.  I posed this exact question to them, and they stated that for non-perishables, they are good long after 6 months past the expiration date.  That's what I go by now.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1) I just developed this problem for the first time with my washer---also non-fancy top-loader.  I noticed it happened when I started using Downy.  I typically use Snuggle.  I've switched to a free and clear type now that is white b/c the blue gunk grossed me out.

2) I have serious issues with expiration dates.  It is definitely something I am terribly OCD about.  I do not use anything past its expiration date.  For dairy---cheeses, milk, sour cream etc---I will write on in it with a sharpie when I opened it and will only use it for 7 days once opened.  My in-laws think I'm delusional and crazy.  I may be but I can't get over it.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

1. I think that is normal.

2. I will not eat expired(according to the printed date) food.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

1. I don't use fabric softener because of it's harsh chemicals. I used to, and when i did this always happened, just like on the dispenser it stays on your clothes it's meant to leave that residue.

2. I don't think you are too fussy, I am that way too with food too, to the point that if you told me it was expired, even if it wasn't, it would smell or taste funny to me. Not so much with other items though.

• Options

1) Nope, never had gunky crap in the washer

2) I will use milk 1 (or 2 days max) past expiration if it smells and tastes ok, canned and dry foods I go past without much worry. Most other foods I stick closer to expiry dates. 

Medicine doesn't go bad, it just gets less effective, so I definitely have some old stuff that I hang on to.

• Options
    imagemullenem:

1.  I don't use fabric softener.  It makes me itchy.  But I think that the residue thing is just what it does... I had a friend once who didn't have the residue problem but that's because he was so anal about it that he would time his laudry so he could go and manually put the fabric softener in during the rinse cycle instead of relying on the dispenser or ball thingy.  Crrrrazy.  I keep thinking that I'm giong to try using white vinegar as a fabric softener but I haven't yet.  I do use the felted wool dryer balls now and they are AWESOME. 

2. If it's unopened (like the dressing) and not expired by MONTHS, then I'd definitely use it.  Milk, I'll go over a couple days if it smells okay.  Eggs I'll go over a week or so (but I think that's a "best by" date).  And meat I use by the date on the package, or a day or two over if it's a "Sell by" date.  The dates on things tend to be a bit conservative so I'll use things if they're over by a bit.

Felted wool dryer balls?! I have never heard of such a thing! Tell me more!

• Options
    imagemullenem:
    imagecarissa_danielle:
    imagemullenem:

1.  I don't use fabric softener.  It makes me itchy.  But I think that the residue thing is just what it does... I had a friend once who didn't have the residue problem but that's because he was so anal about it that he would time his laudry so he could go and manually put the fabric softener in during the rinse cycle instead of relying on the dispenser or ball thingy.  Crrrrazy.  I keep thinking that I'm giong to try using white vinegar as a fabric softener but I haven't yet.  I do use the felted wool dryer balls now and they are AWESOME. 

Felted wool dryer balls?! I have never heard of such a thing! Tell me more!

I have 4 of them.  These ones:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/75945189/wool-dryer-balls-set-of-4-scented-or

Her listing tells you about them but basically they are about tennis ball size and they reduce static on your clothes while bouncing everything around nicely, cutting the drying time.  I've actually noticed quite a difference in drying time since I started using them, particularly when doing sheets and towels.  I've also hears (though I haven't done it yet) that you can soak a couple in a bit of water then put them in the dryer with some dry, wrinkly items and they make it steamy in there and take the wrinkles out nicely.  : ) 

And, from everything that I've read, you can still use them even if you are sensitive to wool. 

Thanks for the info! I will definitely try them!

• Options
    I second wool dryer balls!!! Amazing, cheaper than yucky sheets and ecofriendly :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"