March 2011 Moms
Options

Temper Tantrums?

Hey ladies!

I haven't been on in forever myself, so I wanted to stop and say hi and also to ask some advice.

DS is 10 months old, he's a very happy baby, laughing, babbling, playing. Lately, when I put him down to play, he screams. And I don't just mean screams. I mean if I didn't know any better, I'd think the world were ending. It's awful! He gets so red in the face, and then he starts to cough and he can't catch his breath. It doesn't matter what I do the screaming doesn't stop and the face just becomes more and more red. He also hits himself repeatedly in the stomach. I've checked his diaper, tried food or a bottle, toys and songs. Nothing seems to work except picking him up and sitting him on the couch next to me.

Anybody having LOs with temper tantrums? What are you doing about it?

Advice is much appreciated!

Re: Temper Tantrums?

• Options

Yeah he has a few temper tantrums during the day...especially when I put him in his play area as well...he's normally crawling in our living room and that's probably why he does it.  I tell him that its NOT okay for him to throw a tantrum and make him stop...once he stops I leave again.  Most of the times he stops and sometimes he continues to cry.  If all his needs are met I will normally let him cry it out and he'll normally stop within a minute or two<---I have to hide in order for this work sometimes LOL.  

Once he's preoccupied with his toys he's fine.  

GL!! :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker

imageimage

• Options
    DS has been having some of these lately and he THRASHES his head back and makes a yelling noise.  For one it scares me because I don't want him to hurt his neck.  But 2, I always tell him that that's not right and to please stop and I hold him tight so he doesn't hurt himself.  If he has one on the floor, like PP said, I will let him work it out himself.  It never lasts more than 2 minutes.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

His tantrums have been lasting for 20 minutes or more. It's awful. Really awful.

• Options
    imagesweetstarbright:

His tantrums have been lasting for 20 minutes or more. It's awful. Really awful.

That's a really long time to be having a fit at ten months. Two-three year olds will have a tantrum for that length of time, but at ten months tantrums usually last only a few minutes. Are you picking him up as soon as he cries? Seperation anxiety usually kicks in around this age; maybe try some of these suggestions and is that still doesn't work I'd try to get a referal to see someone at your local child delevopment center.

https://www.positive-parenting-ally.com/baby-separation-anxiety.html

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My ds is 10 mo & he throws some fits every once in awhile. When he does he usually screams and has started biting & pinching! I think out of my 6 boys he's the one who has thrown some of the worst tantrums. 
    ~ Lynne ~ Mom to.. William - 14 | Chandler - 12 | Steven - 8 | Braeden - 5 | Zackary - 2 | Nicholas - 10 mo
  • Options

Mine too... it's ridiculous! ... and scary. She screams like she is being tortured. I usually distract her with one of her musical toys, and quickly remove myself from view. It works often enough, but not always. Sometimes when it starts, before she is completely worked up, I sternly tell her "No." and she sometimes pauses and distracts herself, or she'll just continue screaming... how do they learn these bad behaviours!? I've come to realize the infamous Terrible Twos start before toddlerhood! :(

• Options

Anna has a mini tantrum when we put her down to bed at night.  We just let her cry it out, it only lasts a couple minutes.

When she was younger, she would have the same tantrums when I put her down to play alone.  I just kept stretching out the time I'd wait to pick her up, and now she loves to play by herself. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"