North Carolina Babies

Diapers... newb question

So, I'm starting to start my collection of diapers and I'm trying to figure out about how much of the sizes I should stockpile.  How many diapers would you guessitmate that you use daily/weekly? I'm grabbing diapers as I see them on sale and when I get coupons, trying to lighten the cost load when the baby gets here.

Re: Diapers... newb question

• I know there are some websites that give diaper calculations... I think Baby Bargains might have some info on it too. For disposables, you may want some newborn diapers, but keep them in the package in case you need to return/exchange them. Newborns go through diapers really fast, so you'll need a good amount of newborn/size 1 diapers... think something like 12ish diapers/day at first. At daycare, they usually follow a diaper schedule of every 2 (or 3? I can't remember) hours. If a child poops, they get changed right away. But everyone gets checked & wet diapers are changed on that schedule. If your baby will be going to daycare, you can count on 4-6 diapers during the workday (depending on # of poops). 

I seem to recall that Nate was in size 2 diapers for quite awhile. They tend to stay in the larger sizes longer, because growth slows down after 6-9 months old. I'd say stock up on size 1 and 2 diapers, keeping them all in the packages in case you find that the brand you got isn't working for you, or the baby grows out of that size fast.

• imageECUGirl2004:

I know there are some websites that give diaper calculations... I think Baby Bargains might have some info on it too. For disposables, you may want some newborn diapers, but keep them in the package in case you need to return/exchange them. Newborns go through diapers really fast, so you'll need a good amount of newborn/size 1 diapers... think something like 12ish diapers/day at first. At daycare, they usually follow a diaper schedule of every 2 (or 3? I can't remember) hours. If a child poops, they get changed right away. But everyone gets checked & wet diapers are changed on that schedule. If your baby will be going to daycare, you can count on 4-6 diapers during the workday (depending on # of poops). 

I seem to recall that Nate was in size 2 diapers for quite awhile. They tend to stay in the larger sizes longer, because growth slows down after 6-9 months old. I'd say stock up on size 1 and 2 diapers, keeping them all in the packages in case you find that the brand you got isn't working for you, or the baby grows out of that size fast.

This. Just get some and leave in the package so you can always take back. With us, I tend to have big babies so by the time they are 5 months old, we're in size 3 and that's where we stay for awhile. So I didn't get a whole lot of smaller sizes, just bought extras as I needed them and ended up with a stock pile of 3's which is going to be perfect. So I'd get some of the smaller sizes and just leave in the packages so if you don't need them, you can take them back for the next size up.

• Loading the player...
  • We were only in NB diapers for about a week ( 8lb 6oz baby boy). Then size 1 for about three months and size 2 for 4-5 months. MY son is now 10 months and we are in size 3 diapers. I agree you go through more diapers in the begining.

Keep in mind that if you buy diapers from BabiesRUS they will not take them back if it has been longer then 90 days. We got a lot of diapers at baby showers and I used gift cards we got to get diapers when BRU had giftcard promotions. When I realized we had to many size 1 and 2 I tired to take them back--- lets just say I had a huge stand off in the store. What was I suppose to do with 4 or 5 boxes of diapers that did not fit. After much debate they finally exchanged them with a very unhappy look in their face.

As to how many diapers you will go through-- every baby is different and so is each day.In the begining I would say we changed diapers maybe 12 times a day...now maybe 6. Hope this helps

• The numbers I heard was 12-18/day for the first six weeks...and then it drops off after that. Somewhere around a year you'll settle down to 6-8/day.

For us, we wanted to save money and went with cloth diapers. We bought 32, total, over the course of about six weeks (a couple came as gifts, we bought 12 at a time, twice to get the whole discount that way and then another half dozen with a different discount). The first 3-5 weeks we had Em in newborn diapers until the umbilical fell off and then healed and we've had her pretty much in cloth the entire time since then. It cost us about $500, all together, which I figured out was about what I'd spend on disposables over the first six months of babyhood. We're just starting to think about potty training at 22 months, so it's paid for itself. We do use disposables when we're travelling more than a single overnight at this point...just for convenience sake.

Rae Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with others-try not to stock up too much, or if you buy, do it from Wal-Mart or Target and they will take stuff back. I went overboard and bought a ton of Pampers from Amazon when they had coupons and Cam was so fat he only wore NB size for like a week. I was able to return them to Target, no questions asked.

At first I would plan on 8-10 diapers a day, and it goes down as the baby gets older. Right now I use 1 box of Target brand diapers a month now. Target frequently has coupons for diapers on their website as well.  I would plan on several size 1 and 2 size diapers for now. Cameron is almost 9 months (and 22lbs) and we just moved up to a size 4.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks Ladies! DH and his brother were big babies (right around 10lbs) and I was pretty big for a girl (almost 8lbs) so I'm not really expecting to need many, if any newborn diapers for Mini-Vann. I figure once it gets closer to my due date I can make a more informed size decision then for the purchase of newborn diapers.  As for cloth diapers, my friend who's due the same day as me is doing that but DH's exact words were "it's a tough economy, but not THAT tough."  I have no idea right now about daycare, since 2 months after being laid off, I still haven't found a new job - so that's still very much up in the air.
  • Zach is three months, wearing size 2 and goes thru 12-16 a day. I went thru 228 NB (only because some needed to be used up) and 850 size 1. 

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

• imageKataMarie:
    As for cloth diapers, my friend who's due the same day as me is doing that but DH's exact words were "it's a tough economy, but not THAT tough."  I have no idea right now about daycare, since 2 months after being laid off, I still haven't found a new job - so that's still very much up in the air.

Actually, for us, it's been a ton easier to deal with that thean when I've had to deal with the disposables when we've been travelling. They're always the right size, you know what you've got and the cycle time (2.5 hr for wash & dry) is about the length of time we're up to for a single diaper...and considerably less issues with diaper rash and she's more aware when she's wet/dirty which means as we start to transition to potty training, one big hurdle is already done. Sure money was a factor, but so was convenience & what was a best fit for us.

Plus, she looks darn cute in them.

Rae Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"