Austin Babies
Options

Article - Challenging 100 Years of Sleep Guidelines for Children

My dad sent me this article from the WSJ. It's a scientific/historical analysis of sleep recommendations for the past 100 years. I don't know that I took anything away from it, but thought I'd share nonetheless as it was interesting.

https://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204795304577221272259452032.html 

Re: Article - Challenging 100 Years of Sleep Guidelines for Children

• Options

"The 2011 Sleep in America poll found that 18% of teens ages 13 to 18 are woken up by phone calls, texts or emails on their cellphones at least a few nights a week."

This seems CRAZY to me. Maybe it's because we don't even sleep with our cell phones in our room, but why on earth do these kids have their phones in the rooms with them? Okay, maybe a 17-18 yr old, but 13?? 

I guess my question would be, at what age do parents start letting kids take a cell phone to bed? 

Dear Bump: You suck.
  • Options
    Haven't read the article yet, but re: phones & bed, I wouldn't even think of NOT having my cell phone on my night stand.  But then, we don't have a land line. And I keep my phone on vibrate so if i get a call or text in the middle of the night it won't wake me up.
    Help for Haiti: Learn What You Can Do

BFP 12.20.2010 :: missed m/c 1/2011 around 8 weeks
    BFP @ 9dpo 5.24.2011 :: missed m/c 6/2011 around 7 weeks
    positive for ANAs (1:40) with a speckled pattern
    MTHFR c677t mutation (heterozygous)
    *folic acid, baby asprin, Prometrium, acupuncture, Lovenox*
    BFP @ 9dpo 2.1.2012 || HCG = 8 : Progesterone = 19.2
    2nd HCG @ 11dpo = 40 || 3rd HCG @ 21dpo = over 5000!
    Stick, little one, stick! EDD October 15, 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagerssnlvr:

"The 2011 Sleep in America poll found that 18% of teens ages 13 to 18 are woken up by phone calls, texts or emails on their cellphones at least a few nights a week."

This seems CRAZY to me. Maybe it's because we don't even sleep with our cell phones in our room, but why on earth do these kids have their phones in the rooms with them? Okay, maybe a 17-18 yr old, but 13?? 

I guess my question would be, at what age do parents start letting kids take a cell phone to bed? 

like austinbride said, we keep our cell phones in the room because we don't have a landline. we also use them as alarm clocks.

i can understand why teens have their phones in the room. it's their always-on connection to their social world. i can't remember the exact stat, but teens send/receive at least 100 texts a day. they don't pass cute little folded paper notes in class anymore. it's all electronic. and instead of a "second line" like we used to have as teens, they have their cell phones.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"