Houston Babies
Options

Help

I know this has been asked a million times but I can't find the answers now.  So I'm going to ask again. 

I woke up this moring with a huge lump in my breast and pain.  Possible matitis or clogged duct?

I'm so mad.  I'm BF and pumping how did I clog a duct.  How?

I have a call into my doctor ( I have an appointment on Tuesday but didn't want to wait until then.) 

I'm afraid Cameron won't get enough to eat.  I've continued to feed him on that side but he just cries and cries because I guess he's not getting anything.  ( I'm not getting much at all when I pump on that side)  I don't think he'll eat enough off of just one side.

Any home remedies that I can use while I wait for the doctor to call me back?

Re: Help

• Options

I was going to e mail you this but I will just tell you here.  Hot soaks and massage the spot.  I know it will hurt like a SOB but it will help.  Also massage it while Cameron is eating on that side.  When I get a clogged duct I massage every time I get in the shower and whenever I nurse that side.  

With Mastitis you will feel sick.  Like the flu.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't feel ill thank goodness.

I just feel so bad nursing him on that side and knowing he's not getting any or very little food.  I'll get over it.

Hot shower it is when DH gets home.  Urghhhh

****Edit****

If it is just a clogged duct is there anything that can be done other than messages and how showers?  Just wondering if I should bother the doctor more or not.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

this is what Dr Sears has to say:

To unplug the duct and prevent subsequent infection, try these suggestions:

• Continue to breastfeed on the affected side. By any means, get the milk out! This is the golden rule of preventing engorgement, plugged ducts, and mastitis. Use a breast pump or hand expression if baby is unwilling to nurse.

• Breastfeed on the affected side first. Baby's sucking is strongest at the beginning of the feed, so he is more likely to dislodge the plug when he starts on the affected breast.

• Vary the baby's position at the breast, so that all of the milk ducts are drained. Be sure the baby is latched-on well, so that he can nurse efficiently. Try the clutch hold or side-lying position. Before each feeding, massage the affected area by kneading your breast gently from the top of the breast down over the plugged duct toward the nipple.

• Drain the affected breast better by positioning baby so his chin "points" to the area that is sore. For example, if the lump is around 4 o'clock, use the clutch-hold and position baby's chin around this point on the nipple clock. The lower jaw is often most effective at getting milk out of the breast.

• Apply moist heat compresses for a few minutes before feeding or pumping, or soak the affected breast in warm water or in the shower as described under Engorgement

• Rest. Lie down with the baby and nap-nurse.

• If you notice a small, white dot at the end of the milk duct on your nipple, that is the end of a plugged nipple opening. Apply moist heat on this white blister and with a sterile needle gently pop the blister. If this pore stays plugged, it could block milk drainage and lead to a plugged duct and mastitis.

• Try a pressure massage on the area of your breast that is swollen and painful because of a plugged duct. This may help to loosen the plug. With pressure massage, you do not actually move your hand over the skin as you would with a normal massage. You simply press more and more firmly with the heel of your hand to move the plug in the duct down closer to the nipple.

To do pressure massage, start at the edge of the lumpy area closest to your chest wall. Apply pressure to that area with the heel of your hand to the point just before it becomes too painful. Hold the pressure at that level until the pain eases off. Then increase the pressure again, (without moving your hand) and hold it until the pain eases. Continue to gradually increase pressure at that same site until you are pressing as hard as you can. Then pick your hand up, move it down toward your nipple about a half inch, and repeat the pressure massage in this area. Continue moving your hand a half inch and repeating the massage until you get all the way down to the nipple.

You may see the dried milk come out from an opening in your nipple. Even if the plug doesn't actually come out, you will at least have dislodged it and moved it toward the nipple so that when baby goes to the breast and sucks, he will remove it with his suction. Always put baby to the breast on the plugged side first, when his sucking will be the strongest.

• Options

full article, which includes tips for prevention

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t022100.asp

also, link for the BFing godesses on kellymom

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

good luck! i was so lucky to never have a plugged duct. let's hope i am as fortunate this time around...

• Options
    it happened to me a couple of times...  Massage it in the shower and YES it will HURT...  you might use soap to get some extra massage power..  Also massage while you nurse or feed..  I think it's ibuprofin you can take for the pain too...  It has to work it's way out...  I would keep your appointment.  It can lead to an infection if you can't clear it up...  Sorry :(  I know it's painful...
  • Options
    I have had that as well, but F will nurse off that side.  I just massaged it, mainly while I was pumping or feeding her, and that really did the trick.  It hurts so bad, but it really does work to give you some relief.
    Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Options
    The advice posted above from kellymom (similar to other advice mentioned) always helped me to get them out before an infection started.  I know other moms on here have gotten antibiotics called in from calling their nurse (when they knew it was mastitis).  Good luck and hugs!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"