Multiples
Options

Whey Protein?

Since being out of work I've been trying to focus on my diet more and adding more protein. I got the Ensure protein shakes but realistically without an income from me its hard to make ends meet around here and 10 bucks on 6 shakes isn't in the cards. So I was wondering if any of you know if whey protein is safe during pregnancy. I know to look for artifical sweeteners but wondering if any of you used this. In the long run a tub of the powder is so much cheaper than ensure. That way I could make my own shakes and get more fruits in my diet. I'm a junk food girl and have had only cravings for sweets, I know this will probably change with that glucose test coming up eeek! Thanks for your input. Sorry I ended up writing a book!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Whey Protein?

• Options

I took whey protein for a bit (was trying to gain weight), and used a protein powder shake blend (Myoplex through EAS). It was pricey, but I didn't use a whole packet when I made smoothies. I preferred to mix a smaller amount into fruit/veggie smoothies or milkshakes.

I was still having trouble with my weight, so they switched me to a calorie supplement with no whey protein (Benecalorie).

I saw two nutritionists and neither had a problem with me taking whey protein - but I would check with your doctor just in case. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am in the same boat as you, meaning I am needing to provide more protein for my boys.  My husband just bought me some of the high protein boost shakes.  However, we do have a whey protein powder at home, that I've used a few times.  When I read your post, I decided to look at my whey protein bag for any warnings and I didn't see any.  I have the EAS 100% whey protein chocolate flavored by Abbott.  It does contain some artifical flavors...acesulfame potassium and sucralose.  I was concerned about this and my husband read the LONG list of ingredients in the Boost shakes and there are way more artificial flavors/ingredients in there than in the whey protein powder.  So, I'm going to opt for the powder when I drink all of the shakes that he has bought me.   Whey is just the left over product from when milk coagulates.  I am not an expert of nutrition, but any means nor have i consulted a nutrionist.  So, I'm curious to see whatever else says.....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was working with a nutritionist early on in my pregnancy, and she recommended whey protein, since I was having food aversions.  We are using the Target brand of whey protein powder.  After using several containers, we noticed the warning for pregnant women on the label.  I told my MFM, and they told to call my Target pharmacist.  The pharmacist looked at the whey protein, and told me it was fine for me to take, so I use it to make shakes EVERY day.  At 32 weeks, our babies were measuring over 4 1/2 lbs, so I think it is working/ helping.  Check with your MD, but mine have said that it is okay.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely check with my OB at my next appt and look at the labels at the grocery store before buying.
  • Options
    My MFM recommends Bioplex Whey isolate protein. One of the dangers that can come with some of the protein powders is that it has extra vitamins like vitamin A that can actually do more harm than good when you get too much of it. I like the chocolate flavor and drink 2 shakes a day with two scoops in each shake so I get 100 g of protein from the shakes alone. Another option is the Pure Protein shake that you can get from Trader Joe's. They come in a can and are VERY convenient. Good luck! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"