Parenting after 35
Options

NPA35

First Michael Jackson, Etta James, Amy Winehouse now Whitney. My heart goes out to the children. Their music met so much to me growing up and even now.  I was just dancing to her cd with my baby last week.

I know what it feels like to lose a parent unexpectedly (not at a young age) and it's so hard to make sense of it. I can't imagine with the world watching. I would say I hope others learn from this, but just like losing Michael, Amy and many others, it's up to the person to have that will power.  I can't even begin to imagine how hard fighting this type of addiction is...

Re: NPA35

• Options

Call me jaded and cold hearted, but I don't have as much sympathy for people who dig their own early grave via excessive lifestyle choices, drugs, etc.  And surrounding yourself with people who only do as you say and never challenge you to do the right thing... never a happy ending when you have no conscience to tell you otherwise.   Truly a diva.

I feel bad for Bobbi Christina.  But she is old enough to understand the ramifications of her mother's (and father's) lifestyle choices.

And altho extremely talented and so much potential for greatness, I wouldn't put AW in the same category as WH, MJ or EJ.  Years from now, she'll be a mention for winning some awards and she had a couple of hits, but no where in the same league as the others.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageBrideBuddies:

Call me jaded and cold hearted, but I don't have as much sympathy for people who dig their own early grave via excessive lifestyle choices, drugs, etc.  And surrounding yourself with people who only do as you say and never challenge you to do the right thing... never a happy ending when you have no conscience to tell you otherwise.   Truly a diva.

I feel bad for Bobbi Christina.  But she is old enough to understand the ramifications of her mother's (and father's) lifestyle choices.

And altho extremely talented and so much potential for greatness, I wouldn't put AW in the same category as WH, MJ or EJ.  Years from now, she'll be a mention for winning some awards and she had a couple of hits, but no where in the same league as the others.

I guess I can understand because my mother was an alcoholic and addicted to pain medication my whole life and my brother died of a drug overdose two days after I had my baby. Looking at my family you would assume we were the perfect family from the outside.  I knew at a young age and even more now, that people do things for a reason.  Some are physically or sexually abused, whatever the reason, there's one.

My mother was abandoned by her mother and left in a parking lot when she was only 2. I can't even imagine how the rest of her life played out. By the time she married and had children, there wasn't much left but a shell she tried hard to fill.  But a shell I miss sorely.  Some of my sisters stopped communicating with her because they felt as you, "how could she not want to stop, how can she not want our help"? I threatened but could never bring myself to leave her, to the day she died, she knew I wanted better for her. No matter how much she was loved, addiction is so strong.

I'm so thankful for my experiences in life, they've taught me compassion, and  sympathy. I don't need to be an addict to know , I don't need to be a molested girl to understand the ways of a lose woman and I don't need to be gay to understand the need for acceptance. We're all equal with different sins/burdens/problems.

I'm not religious, but from what I've read, no sin is greater then another, whether you steal, kill or judge, it's all looked at the same way. Not saying you judged, just mentioning sins of us all, not one is better.

I only mentioned Amy as having talent not as being more/less talented. Loss no matter how old or what is accomplished during ones life, is a loss. I also understand your points.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's very sad, not terribly surprising but sad. I feel bad for Bobbi. Even though she's a teenager and well aware of her mom's problems I still can't imagine how hard this must be for her :(
  • Options

Sadly, with fame you see a lot of addiction. I don't know if it's the personality type? Perhaps those who are driven in that way are also addictive personalities. First addicted to the fame and then to the drugs and/or alcohol.

That being said, it's a pity that Whitney Houston self-destructed like she did. She had a beautiful voice, once upon a time.  Though I feel badly for her daughter.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options

/quote]

I agree, my father use to sing  when I was younger and he said that drugs came with the territory. That most singers have addictive personalities.  

• Options
    imagePearly609:

/quote]

That most singers have addictive personalities.  

I totally agree with that.  There is an arrogance and "you can't touch me" kind of attitude from so many celebs.   They are not grounded like a so-called normal person who worries about bills and the mundane, day-to-day stuff. 

I was thinking about the ones who are so often in the tabloids.  The only way to get in those magazines is to do something to draw attention to yourself.  There are plenty of celebs who you'll never read about because they are married, faithful to their spouses, raise their kids and don't live the stereotypical Hollywood lifestyle.

One more little bout of judginess.  I just read that Whitney was out partying it up hard WITH Bobbi Christina the night before she died.  The pictures indicate she was completely messed up and her daughter didn't look much better.   Demi Moore was also doing drugs with her daughter right before she went to rehab.  What is wrong with these people?  And it's not just celebrities... you read stuff in the paper all the time about parents who want to be "friends" with their kids so they drink/do drugs/party with their children.  What kind of role model is that?

Pearly.. .so sorry about your family issues.  That's tough.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It was tough and I miss them both very much. I've embraced every lesson easy or hard. Everyone in our life is a teacher. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"