Northern California Babies

C-Section Rates

Came across this summary of C-section rates for CA hospitals for 2010.

I was disappointed that the hospital where I delivered was 37%. I know that sometimes these stats don't show the whole story. (for example, I know where I delivered is the place where all high risk pregnancies and multiplies end up for the Sutter system in Sac region) 

But there are some hospitals with insane CS percentages.

Take a look at the LA hospitals. Cedar Sianais is almost 40%, LA Community is 68%!

My annual exam is coming up and I plan to address my C-section again with my doc. Anyway, I thought people might find this interesting. 

Here is the link: https://www.cesareanrates.com/california-cesarean-rates/ 

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
~~ married 8.11.07
~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~

Re: C-Section Rates

• Thanks for posting this link. I am kind of surprised my hospital is 27.9. It seems like there were a ton of c-sections being performed right after I had mine.
    DD1: May 2011
    DD2: February 2014

• Yikes! According to that Kaiser Santa Clara has a 72% CS rate - I have to think that is a typo. A friend of mine (and Mrs.Purple) is an OB there and I'd be really surprised if that were the case, considering what I've heard from her. She actually was one of my docs when I was in labor and she was willing to let me go well past the 24 hours after my water broke before having a c/s. If we'd gotten to 24 hours with no progress we probably would have started pit, but we weren't talking c/s then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelegaleagles:
    Yikes! According to that Kaiser Santa Clara has a 72% CS rate - I have to think that is a typo. A friend of mine (and Mrs.Purple) is an OB there and I'd be really surprised if that were the case, considering what I've heard from her. She actually was one of my docs when I was in labor and she was willing to let me go well past the 24 hours after my water broke before having a c/s. If we'd gotten to 24 hours with no progress we probably would have started pit, but we weren't talking c/s then.
    Agreed!  I was shocked at that number.  I understand they'd get more of the higher risk and planned sections because they have a NICU and San Jose really doesn't (it's not as high of level) but that number's off the charts!
  • Feel free to ignore me...

I don't know why, but I'm feeling really defensive about this.  The hospital I delivered at has the 72% rating and *I'm* part of that statistic...like I freaking had a choice in the matter.

The stigma of being a c/s mama sucks sometimes...

• imageMrs.BoomBoom:
    imagelegaleagles:
    Yikes! According to that Kaiser Santa Clara has a 72% CS rate - I have to think that is a typo. A friend of mine (and Mrs.Purple) is an OB there and I'd be really surprised if that were the case, considering what I've heard from her. She actually was one of my docs when I was in labor and she was willing to let me go well past the 24 hours after my water broke before having a c/s. If we'd gotten to 24 hours with no progress we probably would have started pit, but we weren't talking c/s then.
    Agreed!  I was shocked at that number.  I understand they'd get more of the higher risk and planned sections because they have a NICU and San Jose really doesn't (it's not as high of level) but that number's off the charts!

The Kaiser Roseville stat is off too.. so I'm thinking Kaiser reports their data in a weird way or something. It says Kaiser Sac only delivered just over 150 babies which I know can't be correct. Is there really a Kaiser Santa Clara AND a Kaiser San Jose?  

~~ married 8.11.07
  • imageSJBride05:

Feel free to ignore me...

I don't know why, but I'm feeling really defensive about this.  The hospital I delivered at has the 72% rating and *I'm* part of that statistic...like I freaking had a choice in the matter.

The stigma of being a c/s mama sucks sometimes...

Totally, totally understand. As I just mentioned I think the Kaiser reporting is not accurate. (and was just about to post again that this is really why this data needs to be taken with a grain of salt and used to start research, etc. I plan to ask my OB about the rate.)

I absolutely HATE being part of a statistic. HATE IT. So I 100% understand where you are coming from. 

~~ married 8.11.07
  • Interesting. I'm surprised Good Sam is 42% (I'm a part of the 42%).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageladipale:

Is there really a Kaiser Santa Clara AND a Kaiser San Jose?  

Yes, The Santa Clara is a new hospital at Homestead and Lawrence.  The one in San Jose is older and at Cottle and Santa Teresa.  I've heard that L&D at the Santa Clara location is staffed by OB interns/residents while the San Jose location is staffed by midwives (of course, there are OBs who manage both)  And, as I said, the high level NICU is at Santa Clara so if there's something really wrong, they would rather have you deliver there instead of having to do a newborn transport.  That being said, they didn't have me move to Santa Clara even though I was being heavily monitored there at the end and was induced.

It's too bad there's a stigma against you for having a c-section.  I dont' think it says anything about the mother.  I think it can say a lot about the hospital (if the statistics are correct).  It would be interesting to see this data compared to the previous year.

• imageladipale:

The Kaiser Roseville stat is off too.. so I'm thinking Kaiser reports their data in a weird way or something. It says Kaiser Sac only delivered just over 150 babies which I know can't be correct. Is there really a Kaiser Santa Clara AND a Kaiser San Jose?  

They have the two Kaiser Sacramento/Roseville hospitals divided into Morse (150 births) and Eureka (4000+ births).
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Interesting.  I had my 1st at Marin General via scheduled c-section, and their rate is 25%, which I guess is on the lower side compared to some of the other hospitals.  I didn't really look that closely to see which ones were lowest.

• Is there a stigma about c-section moms? I havent noticed, and im being 100% serious. I had both of mine at the Kaiser SJ location.

The only way i would judge someone based on having c-section is if they were electing to have a c becuase of vaction, work, holiday. And to me the judgement is not realizing that it is a very serious surgery. Not like getting a hang nail removed. You get sawed in half practicly.

• The Kaiser rates are surprising a bit but I'm inclined to give them the benefit of doubt.  Their older hospital has a low to totally average rate and their new hospital has a crazy rate that doesn't seem accurate.  I've heard great things about delivering there.  The hospital that all the doulas gossiped about (at meet the doula events and in interviews) when I was pg was Good Sam -- their +40% rate has been that way for years and years.  They have a NICU while nearby Los Gatos doesn't but I'm not sure that's the whole story. 

Anyway, if you look at the stats for the state, I find it interesting that besides a handful with high numbers, most in the bay area have a rate between 20-30%.  The socal hospitals are between 30-50%.  I wonder why.

• imageLexi & Orion's Mommy:

Is there a stigma about c-section moms? I havent noticed, and im being 100% serious. I had both of mine at the Kaiser SJ location.

The only way i would judge someone based on having c-section is if they were electing to have a c becuase of vaction, work, holiday. And to me the judgement is not realizing that it is a very serious surgery. Not like getting a hang nail removed. You get sawed in half practicly.

I have heard everything from "c-section kids are more likely to be sociopaths because their birth is unnatural and not in their control." to someone telling me that Baz would always know that his needs are second to my need for convenience since my c/s was scheduled. (she totally disregarded that it was medically necessary and that I spent over a year nursing on demand and co-sleeping, so clearly her opinion is well rounded and based in reality ;-) )

The sad answer is that - like everything - there are people who lash out for even the most irrelevant reasons.

Not to be not-picky, but everyone is part of a statistic. Example: ElCamino is 33ish % - I'm part of that number. But I know a few people who are part of the 66ish% of those who did not have a c/s.  it's like being a virgin. You either are or you are not, and it's not good or bad, it's just your state of being. 

(full disclosure: I am looking forward to 4 days and nights with someone else taking care of Bazand a full staff to make sure that I rest and recover after they help Rerun crawl out of my sunroof ;-).) 

• imageLexi & Orion's Mommy:

Is there a stigma about c-section moms? I havent noticed, and im being 100% serious. I had both of mine at the Kaiser SJ location.

I absolutely hate admitting I had a CS. I totally feel judged and feel like it is 100% my fault and that people think I didn't try hard enough to do what was best for Ellie.  It still stands out as my biggest failure in life.

~~ married 8.11.07
  • dup
  • Go nest!
  • All of a sudden I'm wondering if Sutter Davis is an option for me. (DH will roll his eyes at me.)

I am definitely going to talk to my OB at my appointment next week. With the added pressure of desperately wanting a VBAC, these numbers make that seem so out of reach. =(

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I guess I was lucky that only a few really questioned my c-section. Telling people that Rose's cord was wrapped around her neck three times usually quiets those people. One still tried to make me feel bad because her friend gave birth vaginally to a baby with his cord around his neck, but my doctor and I made the best decision for Rose and that's all that matters.
    DD1: May 2011
    DD2: February 2014

• imagesecretkeeper321:

All of a sudden I'm wondering if Sutter Davis is an option for me. (DH will roll his eyes at me.)

I am definitely going to talk to my OB at my appointment next week. With the added pressure of desperately wanting a VBAC, these numbers make that seem so out of reach. =(

Sutter Davis doesn't do VBACs... they don't have a 24 hour anesthesiologist on staff.

The only 2 people i know who have tried to VBAC at SM have done so successfully, so I wouldn't get too discouraged. Its about knowing the hows/whys, etc.

My friend who recently VBACed at SM was looking into switching to SD or even to a new OB so she could deliver at UCD, but ultimately, it comes down to trusting your OB team. I wouldn't switch docs and I really do trust Dr. M (if she's not back soon I'm going to cry) and all the other OBs. In my case I know it was ultimately the best decision. We have to remember that at SM, the high risk and multiples are in the 'stats' and so are some women who don't give a crap. (I was in L&D one day for monitoring and in the triage room and another girl comes in and basically begged them to do a CS) 

~~ married 8.11.07
  • imageladipale:
    imageLexi & Orion's Mommy:

I absolutely hate admitting I had a CS. I totally feel judged and feel like it is 100% my fault and that people think I didn't try hard enough to do what was best for Ellie.  It still stands out as my biggest failure in life.

The part that stands out for me in this is that you feel judged but you also believe the judgement.  I hope that time helps heal the wound for you.

I hated that I had a cesarean for a long time. At least a year.  I didn't feel like a failure though.  I felt robbed.  And cheated.  And pissed that my body couldn't get it together, once again (after years of IF and two m/c and bed rest and gah the list is too damn long).  But it was never about a personal failure for me.  Years later I can say that I don't care that much anymore.  I hope that happens for you too.

• Interesting statistics... I'm actually surprised to see CPMC "only" has a 29.7% rate, considering they have nearly 6,000 deliveries a year and many are high risk.

I am more than likely going to join that 29.7% group with the twins. But one of the twins is super high risk, so I just want him here safely... and alive. 

imageimage
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageladipale:
    imagesecretkeeper321:

All of a sudden I'm wondering if Sutter Davis is an option for me. (DH will roll his eyes at me.)

Sutter Davis doesn't do VBACs... they don't have a 24 hour anesthesiologist on staff.

The only 2 people i know who have tried to VBAC at SM have done so successfully, so I wouldn't get too discouraged. Its about knowing the hows/whys, etc.

My friend who recently VBACed at SM was looking into switching to SD or even to a new OB so she could deliver at UCD, but ultimately, it comes down to trusting your OB team. I wouldn't switch docs and I really do trust Dr. M (if she's not back soon I'm going to cry) and all the other OBs. In my case I know it was ultimately the best decision. We have to remember that at SM, the high risk and multiples are in the 'stats' and so are some women who don't give a crap. (I was in L&D one day for monitoring and in the triage room and another girl comes in and basically begged them to do a CS) 

Thank you. This is good to know.

I love Dr. Y and Dr. M and the whole group...I'm just scared my body won't do what I want it to do. =(

Hopefully I can be part of the other side of the statistics next time.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imagefutrkingsley:
    imageladipale:

The part that stands out for me in this is that you feel judged but you also believe the judgement.  I hope that time helps heal the wound for you.

I hated that I had a cesarean for a long time. At least a year.  I didn't feel like a failure though.  I felt robbed.  And cheated.  And pissed that my body couldn't get it together, once again (after years of IF and two m/c and bed rest and gah the list is too damn long).  But it was never about a personal failure for me.  Years later I can say that I don't care that much anymore.  I hope that happens for you too.

Oh, totally. I am my own worst critic. 100%. I hold myself to an unattainable standard 95% of the time. If I plan to work out one morning, but sleep past my alarm, I get unrealistically mad at myself. I hate excuses, especially from myself.

I don't judge others who have c-sections, just myself.  Which is 100% the problem, obviously. Thankful for a good therapist helping me work on these issues :)

~~ married 8.11.07
  • imageladipale:

Not sure if this will further upset you or make you feel better (hopefully the latter!), but when I read this, I thought, "Wow, what a blessed life she has lived if having a c-section is her biggest failure!" 

• imageMeritage:

Not sure if this will further upset you or make you feel better (hopefully the latter!), but when I read this, I thought, "Wow, what a blessed life she has lived if having a c-section is her biggest failure!" 

You would not be the first one to say that.

Failure in the sense that 'having a natural birth' was the first goal I worked my a$$ off for and didn't achieve. I'm used to putting my mind to something, doing the work, and getting the outcome I expected. But using that definition, I've encountered many more during my first year of motherhood (BFing, work/life balance, etc.)

Trust me, I know I need to rework my definition of success and be more flexible with my goals.   

~~ married 8.11.07
  • imageEmmieB:

I have heard everything from "c-section kids are more likely to be sociopaths because their birth is unnatural and not in their control." to someone telling me that Baz would always know that his needs are second to my need for convenience since my c/s was scheduled. (she totally disregarded that it was medically necessary and that I spent over a year nursing on demand and co-sleeping, so clearly her opinion is well rounded and based in reality ;-) )

The sad answer is that - like everything - there are people who lash out for even the most irrelevant reasons.

Not to be not-picky, but everyone is part of a statistic. Example: ElCamino is 33ish % - I'm part of that number. But I know a few people who are part of the 66ish% of those who did not have a c/s.  it's like being a virgin. You either are or you are not, and it's not good or bad, it's just your state of being. 

(full disclosure: I am looking forward to 4 days and nights with someone else taking care of Bazand a full staff to make sure that I rest and recover after they help Rerun crawl out of my sunroof ;-).) 

True. But when going to a site called cesareanrates.com you're most likely not looking at it as "how many women didn't have a c/s."  No matter how you spin it, people look at those percentages with negativity, regardless of how medically necessary the c/s was.

Again, I might be sensitive to this because a) I'm a part of these "negative" statistic and b) the hospital I delivered at has the highest c/s rate in the Bay Area.

FWIW - I have no ill feelings towards having a c/s.  It is, what it is...  I just hate it when people see/hear anything c/s-related it becomes a negative connotation. 

• Very interesting!   There has to be more to the story with some of these percentages.  I'm so curious, I wonder do hospitals see lots of risk to baby? Pre-e? Long labors that never progress past a certain point? Why so many c sections?That would be a great study to read!

• imageSJBride05:
    imageEmmieB:

True. But when going to a site called cesareanrates.com you're most likely not looking at it as "how many women didn't have a c/s."  No matter how you spin it, people look at those percentages with negativity, regardless of how medically necessary the c/s was.

Again, I might be sensitive to this because a) I'm a part of these "negative" statistic and b) the hospital I delivered at has the highest c/s rate in the Bay Area.

FWIW - I have no ill feelings towards having a c/s.  It is, what it is...  I just hate it when people see/hear anything c/s-related it becomes a negative connotation. 

Hey! Other people posted! ;-)

I see what you're saying. I've just been on this kick lately of forcing myself to see the other side of things: 100 people died from contaminated cantaloupes! to which I say "and thousands didn't!"

• imageEmmieB:

I see what you're saying. I've just been on this kick lately of forcing myself to see the other side of things: 100 people died from contaminated cantaloupes! to which I say "and thousands didn't!"

Nice. It works well for things that don't touch you or those you love.  So I say, cantelopes are fine until they kill your gramma. Crying

• imageladipale:
    imageMeritage:

You would not be the first one to say that.

Failure in the sense that 'having a natural birth' was the first goal I worked my a$$ off for and didn't achieve. I'm used to putting my mind to something, doing the work, and getting the outcome I expected. But using that definition, I've encountered many more during my first year of motherhood (BFing, work/life balance, etc.)

Trust me, I know I need to rework my definition of success and be more flexible with my goals.   

I'm with you - the thought that I did everything "right" to prepare for birth, got informed and read up, and still end up with a C-section didn't make sense to me. I was in such denial that when I walked in the operating room all I could think was "this wasn't part of my birth plan." In the end, I have to remind myself to be thankful for modern medicine...childbirth used to kill many a woman, and who knows where we would be without the operation...in our cases, it's what needed to be done.

• imagefutrkingsley:
    imageEmmieB:

Nice. It works well for things that don't touch you or those you love.  So I say, cantelopes are fine until they kill your gramma. Crying

that would suck. but I wouldn't stop eating cantaloupes. Just like I refuse to feel anything other than 100% a-ok with having a c-section. 

• There are many things that contribute to high c-section rates -- too many to get into here. There are also clear reasons beyond "high risk" that contribute to why some hospitals have higher rates than others.

I agree that the Kaiser SC stats are wrong.  It looks a little high for everyone else.  I can't tell if it's a simple accounting of all births, or if it's primips only (first time moms), thus not accounting for the VBACs.

On a related note: There was a very interesting study done just a few months ago that demonstrated that a significant number of OBs actually under-estimate the usual labor time of average, first time moms dramatically (like by half...) Why that is, I'm really not sure, but it says a lot about why augmentations are used.  

• This is a better site to go by, as it only accounts for low risk, first timers (but it's most recent data is 2007...):

https://projects.californiawatch.org/c-sections/ 

• in Santa Clara, as a whole, 30% of babies born in 2010 were sections (18% were first babies, 12% were repeat sections).
  • EmmieSara wasn't being hypothetical
  • Her Gramma really died in
  • imagejsugrin:
    Her Gramma really died in

Thanks J.

I was unclear and off-topic in my response. My gramma died after eating cantelope last fall. So the 100 people it killed was personal. And yeah, I don't see myself eating it again. I don't have any idea how it relates to cesareans. 

• imageBlissfulGurl:

Very interesting!   There has to be more to the story with some of these percentages.  I'm so curious, I wonder do hospitals see lots of risk to baby? Pre-e? Long labors that never progress past a certain point? Why so many c sections?That would be a great study to read!

This was my thought also.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageEmmieB:
    imagefutrkingsley:
    imageEmmieB:

that would suck. but I wouldn't stop eating cantaloupes. Just like I refuse to feel anything other than 100% a-ok with having a c-section. 

For me that would be an impossible leap to make to know how I would feel if someone I loved died...I know since I had a miscarriage start at a certain restaurant I can't bring myself to go back...never would have guessed I would have such a visceral reaction

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageladipale:

imageMrs.BoomBoom:
    imagelegaleagles:

Check it out again, the 150 births was Kaiser Morse which doesn't have a birthing center anymore, so I'm guessing those are can't get to a hospital with a birthing center oops. Kaiser Roseville has 4k births, and a decent 23% rate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"