New Jersey Babies

NJ Teacher + FMLA

Hi Ladies,

Sorry if this has already been asked....

I teach elementary school in NJ. I'm trying to figure out my maternity leave and find it all very confusing. At this point I'd just like to know when FMLA will kick in. I know I am required to take my sick days before I can take anything else, but will that be concurrent to FMLA or will FMLA start when I give birth?

I am due on 9/26. I will take my 20 sick days for the month of September. Will my 12 weeks of FMLA start 9/5 or 9/26?

Thanks for any clarification you can offer!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: NJ Teacher + FMLA

• Hi,

FMLA will start after you give birth.  Your school is probably also allowing you to take sick days after the baby is born.  My school allowed me to take 6 weeks of sick days after the birth or until I ran out.  FMLA does not begin until after that time.  Your human resources department should give you paperwork that states the last day you are getting paid from them.  That is when FMLA begins. 

Hope this helps. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with pp.  My union office gave me the paperwork and told me that i could start collecting once i was not getting paid at all ( i will be using 4 weeks of sick day and getting 6 weeks of private disability) so when those are done FMLA starts.
  • Loading the player...
  • After, but if you are taking more than 12 weeks of sick days like me it doesnt work.
  • I had my son in June.   I went on leave a couple days early(I was planning on working the entire month of May).   I used sick days in June.   Then starting Sept 1, I took my 12 weeks of family leave and got paid through the state for 6 of those weeks(using the family leave insurance)   I went back to work after Thanksgiving.   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"