VBAC
Options

Can't decide if I want a doula?

I'm starting to panic a little that I'm this far along and second guessing the fact that I do not have a doula.  I emailed a few early on in pregnancy and they referred me to more vbac friendly doctors/hospitals but that is it.  I do feel more confident this time with going natural and avoiding unnecessary interventions but I just don't like people in my space.  So I'm not sure if a doula would be helpful in this situation, I guess I'm worried I might be more uncomfortable with her there but also worry that I might regret not having one.

Any thoughts? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can't decide if I want a doula?

• Options
    I'm in the same boat, except added in financial struggling. We honestly can't afford one. But I second guessed and started looking again recently. But faced with the situation again... I think I just wasted her time. We can't afford it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

(having not had one before) i think you might still benefit.  they are there to support you however you need them to.  you just have to make your expectations clear.  no matter how confident i am with having taken the bradley classes, i want someone there to support me and my husband so i don't have to remember all the information but who can prompt me into different positions for comfort, and who can help me keep a clear and level head through all the chaos.

i just started interviewing. it's not too late.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not having a doula with my first is one of my biggest regrets.  This time I have a home-birth midwife, and at least one of her trainees/assistants, all of whom act as doulas as well.  If I were planning a hospital birth, I would definitely have a doula.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

Personally, if I was going to a hospital with a doctor again, I would absolutely have a doula.  It was one of my biggest mistakes with #1.  I made this crazy assumption that because my doctor and the hospital was pro-vaginal birth, that it would just happen.  I realize now, how much I left to chance on the nurses and the doctors who were on call....and it didn't work out in my favor. 

This time, I'm going with a solo midwife in a hospital.  She has already said she'll make sure I get the most VBAC friendly nurses and she won't let the doctors bother us, unless there's an emergency.   So, I'm thinking I don't need a doula, but I'm still considering it anyway.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"