1st Trimester

Starting Prenatal Vitamins at 5 weeks?

I had been taking a multivitamin for the past few years and once I got a positive pregnancy test I went out and purchased One a Day Prenatals with DHA supplement. Well, I just realized that for the past week (week 4) I was only taking the supplement (it was not clearly labeled) and I never took the prenatal! I'm freaking out. I'm 5 weeks today and am going to start taking the prenatal vitamin. Do you think I need to call my doctor? 

Re: Starting Prenatal Vitamins at 5 weeks?

• I would think you're fine considering a lot of people are much further along when they first find out you're pregnant. If you're worried though call your doctor.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • There is nothing your doctor can do. Just start taking your prenatals now. There are people who don't take prenatals or find out later than you they are pregnant and start taking prenatals then. They go on to have perfectly healthy babies. I'm sure you will be just fine ;)

• Loading the player...
  • I was almost 6 week pg with ds when I found out.  I wasn't taking any vitamins before that.  You will be fine.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I started taking prenatal vitamins at 6 weeks with DD and she is totally healthy.  Don't worry at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • You'll be fine. Women for millions of years managed to have babies without prenatal vitamins. If you'd already been taking a multivitamin, then you shouldn't be deficient in any nutrients (many are stored in your body for later use). Just start taking them now. 1 week without vitamins is no big deal.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I haven't read the other responses but would figure this falls in line with them.   Most women probably don't know they're pregnant (first timers mostly) till they're a few weeks along.  I didn't know till I was almost six weeks, saw my PCP to confirm and started the prenatal then.  don't worry, you & the baby will be fine, just start taking them now.  :)
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker "You are not here merely to make a living. You are here to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, and with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world. You impoverish yourself if you forget this errand." - Woodrow Wilson
  • Baby is totally fine! A friend gave me some great advice once..."you have to remember no matter what vitamins you take, they are for you and not the baby. Baby's gonna take whatever it needs from you, so you need the vitamins to keep yourself healthy!"
  • A women's vitamin is very similar to a pre-natal and still has significant folic acid.  Nothing to be worried about.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You should be just fine. Like PP said, some people don't find out they are pg until after 5 weeks. Just start it now :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My OB took me off the prenatal vitamin, because he suspected that it was causing some of my morning sickness, so I started to do without... But he prescribed Folic Acid. Make sure you're taking that, if anything!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • You should be fine. You went 4 weeks without taking any, what's an extra week? I'm sure there's plenty of women out there in the world that haven't realized they were pregnant until week 6 or 7. I have those same prenatals that I bought the day I found out (I now have some prescribed by my doc), you have the one with 2 seperate bottles right? The One a Day Prenatal bottles are both clearly labeled... one with Vitamin and the other with DHA supplement. Not sure how you missed that, but if you're worried, give your doc a call.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"