3rd Trimester

Sushi

Ok ladies, I am almost 38 weeks and craving sushi!!! Can I have a california roll or anything else? I know salmon, snapper and some other fish I should avoid and everything raw is a huge NO NO, but if its cooked is it ok? Would love some input.

Re: Sushi

•  I'm probably in the minority, but I say eat whatever you want. I had some salmon and tuna a few months ago. As long as its fresh and from a reputable place, I wouldn't worry. Japanese women eat sushi all the time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I eat sushi from time to time but I stay away from the raw stuff.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I eat sushi. My doctor has no problems with it as long as I am getting it from a clean and well known place. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • If you've never had a problem getting sick from it before, it's not that likely you're going to get sick from it now.  Just make sure it's from a place you trust.
  • You are most definitely fine with cooked sushi.  It's the raw stuff that people worry about.  Stay away from the fish with high mercury counts and you should be fine.  I've had sushi more than a few times during this pregnancy.  We usually get eel rolls, california rolls, and ones with shrimp.
  • i eat cooked sushi all the time.  This includes anything that is tempura, crab, shrimp, eel, and cooked rolls (most often they will be salmon or whitefish).  Also of course any veggie roll is fine.  I'm actually going to get sushi tomorrow!!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep, Japanese women eat it all the time. 
    image. image. image.
  • Yes you can, as long as it is not raw and it is a place you know to be clean and that serves good quality fish. That's what I learned from research and from my OB advice. Talk to your OB but I've had sushi it throughout my pregnancy and I did not get sick. People take things too literally.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you are avoiding due to it being high in mercury then avoid these.

Marlin,Orange roughy,Tilefish,Swordfish,Shark Mackerel (king),Tuna ( bigeye, Ahi).  

Just so you know salmon is actually very healthy for you and is one of the safest, purest fishes t eat.  Its also high in fatty acids.  There are many cooked and tempura rolls at all sushi restaurants.  I however have eaten raw fish on occasion I assure you in other countries they don't stop and we actually don't have better birth rates! 

• imagekiarstin:

If you are avoiding due to it being high in mercury then avoid these.

Marlin,Orange roughy,Tilefish,Swordfish,Shark Mackerel (king),Tuna ( bigeye, Ahi).  

Just so you know salmon is actually very healthy for you and is one of the safest, purest fishes t eat.  Its also high in fatty acids.  There are many cooked and tempura rolls at all sushi restaurants.  I however have eaten raw fish on occasion I assure you in other countries they don't stop and we actually don't have better birth rates! 

All of this.  My OB actually suggested eating salmon early on when I asked about sushi.  What everyone says about reputable places is the key.  He basically told me "don't pick it up in an airport or anything" but otherwise just said stay away from the high mercury fish. 

• I've been eating only cooked fish. I just wanted to mention, because it didn't occur to me at first, I always ask them now to leave off the tabiko if it's something that comes on it. I had totally forgotten that it was raw fish parts!
    First birth: Natural (med-free) Second birth: Hell, no. Epidural all the way. Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've had sushi (gasp, the raw fish kind even) a few times so far.  My OB was fine with it so long at it was a reputable place with safe practices that I'd eaten at before.  She said no grabbing premade sushi, which was more likely to harbor bacteria.  Most fish is flash frozen, eliminating the concern with raw fish - but if you are concerned, make sure the storage and preparation areas are separate for sushi with raw fish and sushi without, or it doesn't much matter.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

My Blog

• imagekiarstin:

If you are avoiding due to it being high in mercury then avoid these.

This. No reason to avoid Salmon. I must have eaten smoked salmon and crackers everyday for 4mos starting in my 1st tri. OB & RE said it was great that I was taking in so much omega 3.

• There's no reason to avoid sushi, except for the mercury.  As long as you don't get too much mercury, you're fine.  So the same rules apply as do eating tuna fish, or cooked fish.  There is no reason to avoid the raw fish.  Even the FDA doesn't suggest that pregnant women don't eat it.  It's not actually raw, it's just cooked with cold instead of being cooked with heat.  Totally safe.  

I've eaten it throughout pregnancy, though I make sure to keep an eye on how high in mercury the different fishes are, and how often I eat them.

PP - the FDA does recommend against eating smoked salmon if you are pregnant.  I'm pretty sure it's because it could have listeria, or something like that.  (I looked it all up early in pregnancy, but don't remember now).  As with cold cuts, I think many women eat things like in moderation, but some exclude it completely because of the possibility.  

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Of course you can have a California roll....and anything cooked should be fine as well.
    BabyName Ticker imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I always ate whatever I wanted...in moderation of course and reputable places.  Cooked sushi is fine....but I have eaten a piece of DH's roll if it has raw fish at the Sushi place we know and go to that has fresh seafood.
    Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • imagemichnthecity:
    Yep, Japanese women eat it all the time. 

This exactly.  At one point, I had it like every other day.  Raw and cooked.

• If it is cooked, you are usually in the clear. No shark or swordfish-- cooked or otherwise. I have eaten sushi with cooked crab or shrimp throughout my whole pregnancy and I have yet to read anything that says I shouldn't have.
  • Pretty much everyone uses imitation crab meat in California Rolls. So it's not raw it's cooked either way.

Also try an eel roll! DELICIOUS!!! Served cooked with that yummy sweet sauce. 

I do agree eating at a reputable sushi place for sure.

Enjoy yourself!!! 

• I'm asian and sushi is something I love but I know I can't have the raw stuff but this leaves me some options still....california rolls, eel avocado rolls, shrimp tempura rolls chicken tempura rolls, any veggie rolls , sweet custard  and much more. 

I'm craving some now so I guess I'll go get some tomorrow heheh 

• I craved sushi during my 1st trimester.  I stayed away from the raw stuff and ended up getting california rolls and eel (since they are both cooked).  Also be careful with spicy crab salad rolls since they have masago (fish eggs) mixed in the salad.  The chef was kind enough to tell me since I had no idea.  You have to tell them you have an allergy and not to put the masago since sometimes it is not visible.  But now that I am in my 3rd tri I would not risk any type of sushi.  I don't even eat at buffets.  I ended up getting food poisoning (still not sure how).  And let me tell you, it is not worth it.  If you really want it, make your own at home.  This way you know what is going in it.  Good luck!

https://makemysushi.com/

• I think its all in moderation, as long as your not eating the raw fish every day. I eat the "cooked" rolls. Now i want sushi!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"