Postpartum Depression
Options

I know you all aren't doctors but help if you can....

Sooooo....even before baby I was a "perfectionist" and kind of controlling with how things should be done (particularly cleaning and organization type stuff) with DH.  On top of that, add a baby and you have a recipe for disaster.  Recently DH has made comments to me out of frustration that insinuate and sometimes flat out state I am a horrible mother.  I know he doesn't mean it and is just frustrated.  I feel like I have to say that so people know he isn't a horrible person.  I know I am probably taking things more to heart than most would.  I have times where I obsess about it and really believe it. Does this sound worthy of medicating in your opinion?alked myself into believing I just might belong in an institution but that's probably just crazy.  I talked myself into believing he and the baby would be better off without me, even though I would never do anything stupid and was just really down on  myself and obsessed with what DH thought of me.....  What does this sound like?  I didn't ask sooner because I thought I was just weird....
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: I know you all aren't doctors but help if you can....

• Options

I had some of those same thoughts. My DH is super supportive, helps out, and tells me that I am a good mom, but I still felt like they would be better off without me. I have been feeling better since starting anti-depressants.

Your DH needs to support you in every way. Most of the time people criticize others it is more a reflection on themselves. My DH and I used to hit below the belt when we argued. One of the reasons our relationship has improved so much recently is b/c we draw certain lines. There are specific things from our pasts we don't bring up, he won't use the things I tell him (thoughts/feelings) regarding my depression against me b/c is destroys trust, and we don't in any way call each other bad parents or partners. If I do something he doesn't agree with, then we sit down and talk about it. No raising voices allowed. HTH

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would try talk therapy first with a therapist or counselor of some kind before deciding to medicate.  You might not need meds, and if you do, they'll be a lot more effective in conjunction with having someone to talk/vent to who you can trust not to judge you.  I'm sure you're doing just fine and not a horrible mother at all.  I think telling someone else about what exactly you're going through and hearing that again from an unbiased third party / professional will help you feel a bit better about things.  Husbands can often be too embroiled in our problems and their own to be as supportive as we need.  {{hugs}} 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"