Georgia Babies
Options

No Child Left Behind

Did you all see this?  President Obama announced a list of states that are "freed" from NCLB and GA is on the list. 

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46323704/ns/politics/#.TzPYQk6m_NU

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: No Child Left Behind

• Options
    The intention was good..

• Options

They talked about it a little bit on wsbtv this morning. Any teachers or anyone in general know how this will effect the public schools here?

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    good intention but I think long term this is not good for the quality of ed.  I'm wondering what this means for crct this spring?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't quite understand what it means either.  We got a letter a few weeks ago about NCLB option for our county and it said something about our school not being eligible.  I didn't understand if it meant that kids zoned for our school couldn't pick another or if kids zone for another school couldn't pick ours.
  • Options
    I have no idea what it really means either.  I am going to ask around to some of my teacher friends to try to find out more.  I don't teach in a public school anymore so have not heard much yet.  Yellowtulips, tell us more of what you are talking about longterm?  I was hoping this would mean they would stop taking some of the pressure off of test scores and thus quit so much teaching to the test.  When I taught 2nd grade, we spent so many months practicing for that stupid CRCT and I felt like it was such a waste of time.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Our school district was hoping this would go away because it would be one step closer to giving the school's more freedom over how education.  We are in City of Decatur.
  • Options

I teach 8th grade.  We haven't heard from our district yet exactly how we will be affected.  But, I think it's for the good.  We spend so much time preparing and talking about CRCT with the kids.... especially in the 8th grade since they have to pass it to be promoted.  It's a lot of stress, on the teachers and the kids.   We have to do a lot more testing throughout the school year as well (which takes away from class time) to gather and look at data to help the kids pass this ONE test.  

I believe teachers should be accountable.  I don't believe NCLB is the way to do it.  There are so many things affecting a student's performance on a standardized test that cannot be controlled by the school or the teachers.  

One additional thing:   One of the ways that a school's AYP is determined is whether or not the test scores improved from year to year.  So they'll set a goal for # of students passing the test that is a bit higher than last year's pass rate.  So they compare the scores of this year's 8th graders to last year's 8th graders -- which doesn't really show improvement at all.  It's a different group of kids, wouldn't it make more sense to test them at the beginning of the year and the end to see what they've learned as opposed to expecting gains from a different group?  There are a lot of problems with the way AYP is determined, that one always sticks out to me.  I'll come back and post more later when I think of more. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"